Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE 7 install failure

• Please log in to reply

747pilot

747pilot

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I tired to install the upgrade to Internet Explorer, IE7. During the install I got a message that something had failed to register, but it kept going anyway. Once the machine rebooted at the end, I was no longer able to get Windows to run properly in any more, even safe mode. I get the wallpaper, then the desktop icons, and then the icons disapear and the wallpaper returns. This goes on back constantly, taking about 5 seconds to run the cycle. If I try to click on an icon while they are up, I get a message saying:

Dr. watson post mortem debugger has failed, sorry for the

inconvience." Event type Drwtsn32.exe p2 5.2.2600.0 p3: 3b7d84a2 p4:dbghelp.dll p5: 5.1.2600.2.180

p6:4110969a p7: 001295d p8 c0000 409 p9 00000000 C:document\glenn\local~\temp

wer3242.dir00\drwtsn32.exe.mdmp, and also C::document\glenn\local~\temp wer3242.dir00\appcompat.txt

As the icons are cylcing on and off, I can see the dr watson program trying to load itself in the task manager. When it loads, the icons dissapear, but then it fails, they come back, and the cycle repeats. The only thing I can do is get a C prompt from booting in safe mode with that selected. How do I tell it to stop trying to run this dr. watson program?

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi 747pilot,

Are you able to go to control panel /add or remove programs? You can uninstall IE 7 from there.

Dr. Watson is a debug program from Microsoft.

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Do you have a validated version of Windows? if not windows has created a update that will not let your computer start up properly and the only real way to start it is to buy windows

when was the last time you got an update from windows?

Edited by Jazza, 25 October 2006 - 04:57 AM.

747pilot

747pilot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi 747pilot,

Are you able to go to control panel /add or remove programs? You can uninstall IE 7 from there.

Dr. Watson is a debug program from Microsoft.

no, I can't get there. The best that I can do is a dos prompt from safe mode, or in safe mode, I can bring up the task manager and sometimes the "run" command works. Do you know what program name I can type in there to bring up add/remove programs?

I'm not sure that is really the answer though. I don't think it is IE7 so much as it is Dr. Watson. I'd love to rename it and see if it will boot without bringging it up

747pilot

747pilot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Do you have a validated version of Windows? if not windows has created a update that will not let your computer start up properly and the only real way to start it is to buy windows

when was the last time you got an update from windows?

Not sure exactly when it was, but it seems a week or so back it was nagging me about needing a restart for some installed windows updates. It is an OEM version fron Dell, so I guess it is legit. I even tried to boot it from a DELL windows CD off of another machine and the same thing happened. I believe that windows is booting, but that this Dr. Watson thing is fouling everything up

747pilot

747pilot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I changed the name of every file that seemed related to Dr. Watson by putting an X in front of it. This didn't solve the problem but it did change it. I now get the wallpaper, then the desktop icons, then it goes back to the wallpaper and hangs up instead of cycling back and forth. I can still get the task manager, but things are pretty much frozen

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
From the Run box or command prompt type "C:\Windows\System32\Restore\rstrui.exe" (no quotes) press Enter. If you have a restore point (and system restore will run) you may be able to get your system back to a running state.

747pilot

747pilot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

From the Run box or command prompt type "C:\Windows\System32\Restore\rstrui.exe" (no quotes) press Enter. If you have a restore point (and system restore will run) you may be able to get your system back to a running state.

It didn't work. I was able to try it from MSCONFIG (which I can now get as well through the task manager) but it didn't work there or as a raw dos command :-(

747pilot

747pilot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It Works!!!!!!

It took all day to figure out but I was able to get booted up to dos and run the install program for IE 7 again. Looks like that took care of it. Now I know why I am not an early adapter!!

Thanks to all