Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flash drive only recognised as CD-ROM (A-DATA Fingerprint Flash 2 GB)

• Please log in to reply

Papi Bear

Papi Bear

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Today I was given a great bonus as part of a training at work -- a 2GB A-DATA Flash Drive with a fingerprint scanner for added security! Awesome! :blink:

Not awesome. :whistling: My work computer only recognizes the flash as a CD-ROM. Obviously the IT people at work did not research this product as I found a record of this problem very easily:

http://www.overclock...Flash/index.htm

There is no suggestion of how to fix it, however.

My home PC will recognize the flash as a CD-ROM (F:) AND as a flash drive (G:), but it is not really helpful to me only at home.

Anyone have suggestions or did I just get a free 2GB nothing?

EDIT: I would like to add that this device just caused me to get the blue screen for the first time in my current PC's life -- the report says the device driver caused the failure. (It was not necessary to install any unique drivers before using according to the help file.)

Papi Bear

Edited by Papi Bear, 24 October 2006 - 08:10 PM.

Advertisements

System101

System101

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I would let the IT dept. of your company know of the situation. No IT dept wants hardware installing in their system if it is going to cause potential failures and OS crashes.

Don't use the drive anymore and return it to the IT guru who gave it to you and ask for a replacement. Make sure you let him know of the situation.

If the drive is defective then whoever bought the drive will, if possible, end up taking it back.

Papi Bear

Papi Bear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, I did let them know.
I told our IT guru this morning. He was appreciative, as no one else (30 users) had tried to use theirs -- and they were going to distribute 75 more today or tomorrow.

Aside from the part about it crashing my computer, it seems that the flash won't show up on work computer b/c we have a G: drive already and the flash won't assign a different letter.

I am sure they will figure it out or scrap them.

I am sad because it seems like such a cool little toy... poo.

Thanks again!

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I'm sure they went with the a-data because they are usually less expensive ( or cheap if you prefer ) I would recommend going with Lexar drives as I've had very good luck with them ( its' all I own ) or maybe PNY as that is what one place I work for uses and they have had good luck....

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Aside from the part about it crashing my computer, it seems that the flash won't show up on work computer b/c we have a G: drive already and the flash won't assign a different letter.

if you right click on "my computer" and choose manage (or have your IT guys do this) then go to disk manager...you SHOULD see the flash portion of the drive sitting in disk manager with no letter assigned to it...right click it and choose "assign drive letter" assign it a free letter and it should detect it....and keep detecting it as that letter unless you add something else that automatically takes that letter away