Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help w/ windows xp pro logon/recover password

• Please log in to reply

hardeez1

hardeez1

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello,
Alright my boss gave me her Sony Vaio to do some stuff with.. it's got Windows XP Pro & it does not have a floppy drive or cd drive. She doesn't know her password so I am trying to either recover the password or just reformat the whole thing but I'm not really sure where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
To reformat it you must have a valid XP cd and be able to set the BIOS to boot from cd. We can't get into password cracking topics on this site, sorry.
Johanna

hardeez1

hardeez1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

To reformat it you must have a valid XP cd and be able to set the BIOS to boot from cd. We can't get into password cracking topics on this site, sorry.
Johanna

ok, i have a windows xp cd & a pcmcia cd rom drive for the laptop.. & that is the first thing that is set to boot on the laptop but it won't boot from it when i start the computer. any ideas why? thanks.

System101

System101

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
There maybe some type of conflict witht the CD drive or you may need to install a driver for it.

However, depending on what your boss has done with the OS you may still be able to get into the Admin account using the Manual Log in screen.

So Once you get to the Welcome screen (if the laptop is set up that way)

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del

this will bring you to the Manual log in screen.

Simply type in

Administrator and press Enter

This procedure is assuming that this account had not been changed or password enabled.

If it is password enabled then your out of luck, unless your boss remembers the password.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
the only advice i can is find the program called

take ownership

hardeez1

hardeez1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hey, thanks for the replies. She did have a password on it but she couldn't remember it.. so I finally broke down and bought Active Password Changer for $40 .. it worked awesome.. just booted it up with the external floppy & reset the admin password so it was blank.