Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVG on new Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

hawthorn

hawthorn

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Sorry for the title, it doesnt fully explain my query! First, I am buying a new laptop at the weekend, and have sold the one I am currently writing this on. I decided to keep the old hard drive as a lot of my work etc is on it, and I bought a new one, so mybuyer will have completely clear (well almost!) machine. Though as i am using it for a few days its not quite clear!
I got my nephew to install it (hes a technician in a pc shop). Now my query is 4-fold:

1 With new HD installed I wanted to connect. The only Anti Virus I have is Norton System Works 2003.But as its mine I didnt want to put it on this machine permanently. So i thought Id load it on to get immediate protection, and then perhaps download AVG for my buyer, and uninstall Norton. Does this sound like its a good idea? It did take Norton a good 30 mins to download the updates, so I hope I didnt catch a virus in that time.What do you think?

2 When my nephew was installing the new HD he entered my name. So now it appears in various places as user name (task manager etc). its not a big deal, but is there any way to change it? Ive changed it in user name but that doesnt change it everywhere else.

3 Maybe Im being paranoid, but I think that just MAYBE the laptop isnt running quite as fast as I expected it to with a nice new HD. Is there a possibility that I picked something up in the time it was updating Norton? Is there any guideline you can give me (eg how long it takes something to open...?) to check it, without running all the tests for a Hijack This log? Its HP zv5000, 512 Ram, AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3400+
Also I notice, when I press ctrl, alt, delete for Task Manager, sometimes it shows 100% processor uses but instantly changes to something normal like 5%.

4 Finally on my new machine I will probably install Norton Systemworks 2003, it will give me a years updates. Will this work well enough, or should I buy a new version of it (or some other one)?

Really sorry for the long post, many thanks!

h

Advertisements