Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Hangs/Freezes

• Please log in to reply

tanda

tanda

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi Everyone,
When I close Internet explorer 6, or Outlook Express 6, If I then click on "start", or any of my desktop icons, the computer hangs/freezes, for about 30 seconds or so, then it's ok, which is really anoying. I read on here somewhere, that some programs "Hold" onto RAM memory, and won't release it straight away, which may be the cause, but I have a ram defrag program to stop this. I have, since, uninstalled this program and installed another one, "RAMBooster.Net", and it is still doing it. I noticed when it locks up, I have about 70% ram free, so this would sugest this is not the problem, any other ideas. Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

tanda

tanda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi Lord Shaitan, Thanks for the reply, Unfortunatly, there is no Internet Explorer 6, on the add/remove list. Thats why, a few weeks ago, I re-installed windows ME over the top of itself, If you see what I mean, in an effort to repair/replace any problems/missing files, and it still does it. I have uninstalled the Ram Boost program, and I am trying another, still no good. I have unticked the box, so the ram boost program doesn't start at boot up, and it still hangs, anything else to try? Thanks again.

tanda

tanda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi Lord Shaitan,
I will wait for your grey matter to kick in then lol. I use Reg clean, Reg cleaner, regestry machanic, and regestry cleaner, so I would think the resgestry is ok. Is it a good idea to have so many regestry programs, or do they conflict with each other? I also use add ware and spy wear programs, so far as I know, the pc is clean.

tanda

tanda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi Lord Shaitan,
Problem solved, You said about reparing Internet explorer, well, as it wasn't in the Add/Remove list, I thought, if I downloaded it again, it might put it in the list, so I could repair it, but it is still not on the list, but what it has done is to sort the problem out. I can now open/close internet explorer, desk top icons, and start menu, without having to wait, so thanks for the pointer. Also, it has cured another problem I had with not being able to do online scans, I have just finnished running all four scans, thanks again for your help. The other question is here.

http://www.geekstogo...s...r=all&st=25