Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my Hard Drive fried?

• Please log in to reply

theBoar

theBoar

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hey Guys, i hope someone gets back to me about this cuz i'm really stressing out over here....
Today i was tampering around with my computer, i have three hard drives installed on my computer and i was disattaching and reattaching them over and over again because i was trying something out (long story). Anyways when i finally gave up on what i was trying I reconnected the three hard drives back on my system and restarted my computer. This is when i noticed that in My Computer i only have two of the hard drives listed. I check my Acronis Disk Director aslo but it doesn't recognize the third hard drive either. Is it possible that I fried it???? How do i find out?? I've tried reinstalling it over and over again but it stiill wont read. I had 75GB of data on that hard drive and i think i would have a nervous breakdown if i cant recover them. PLEASE HELP ME.... :whistling:

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
The first thing to check is if the mother board can detect the HD if not you'r Disk Director wont do much good.
Play with the disks and the bios see if u can recognize the HD and then add the other one with you'r OS and if u need define in the bios from what disk 2 boot from.
good luck

theBoar

theBoar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Thanks for your reply, how exactly to i 'play with my bios'. I dont know much about that. And also, does it sound to you like i fried it, i'm very worried, i'm wasn't sure if you can fry your hd just by removing and adding hardware.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
If u didn't disconnect a HD while it was still running it should b OK.

If you'r HD is IDE then when u enter the bios go to advanced.
there u enter IDE configuration and it has a list of the HD thet the Mboard detected.
usually the detection is on auto and it tells u what it found

(I didn't say this before but I hope u checked the jumpers?)

If the hd is sata then u have to look in the bios wheare the disks r listed]
I havent worked that muck with sata disks and the bios so I don't remembe.
(I can find out if needed)