Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Design Guidelines Gone Too Far?

• Please log in to reply

Sir Grand Funk

Sir Grand Funk

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
A bunch of standards for the 39%... Most of us (being web-designers) don't even target our websites to people with disabilities (such as graphic oriented sites or vg sites &c). Anyways my point is, why not has the somewhat-bleeding edge technology on your site if it is oriented for gamers and people of the sort. Base your web design not just on a global standard, but specific designs/templates for specific audiences. Such as if your site is for a local garage sale (or whatever community thingy) then yes W3c, you are right in your access guidelines. But if I want to update my nerdy friends on my video game creation status I should be able to use xhtml 1.1 with non-dialup friendly items on it. For I know my viewers, and they all have fast connections.

In short, there are no global guidelines for web-design; know your viewers.

Well actually, that is just my view. I design with w3c in mind with xhtml 1.1 and css2 (meaning no tables for layout and things of the sort).

I would agree that you shouldn't use a ton of unnessesary code. However, I want to use the fullest extent of technology, I don't want to keep the 800x600 Dialup IE5 people in mind!

I would like your input.

Advertisements