Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Password problem

• Please log in to reply

TheAlmightyBob

TheAlmightyBob

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just installed win2000 pro to my laptop after a reformat, and after setting up my workgroup again I found an annoying little bug. Btw, tower1 is running XP Pro. The problem goes as this.

To access tower 1 from laptop 1 I just double click on the towers icon. To access laptop1 from tower1, I need a username/password.

I know I didn't set up a password or such and I was wondering how to turn it off. I went thru laptop1's setting and set sharing to "Everyone", but still asks for the username/password.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
quoted from http://www.chicagote...onnectivity.htm

When xp tries to access a w2k/xp computer shared folder, Connect to computername screen with Username and Password prompt. Resolution: type a username and password were created on the w2k/xp, you should be able to access the shared folders. Or create the user account on w2k/xp for remote computer logon.