Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Persistent Spybot entries

• Please log in to reply

segerkm

segerkm

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Whenever I run Spybot (couple of times a week), it invariably finds the following "problems:"

Avertising.com
CasaleMedia
MediaPlex

Is there any way to permanently block them? I immunize pretty much every time I run Spybot. I also periodically (1x month) run Ad-Aware and also run SpywareBlaster. Additionally, I've got the spyware program that comes with Trend Micro PC-cillan (updated daily) turned on.

I primarily use Firefox (version 1.5.0.7). Haven't yet upgraded to IE 7.0. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition w/Service Pack 2.

Thanks!

~Kathleen

Advertisements

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi segerkm and welcome to the Geeks to Go Forums.

My name is Trevuren and I will be helping you with your log.

Download and run the following HijackThis autoinstall program from Here . Please choose the default location of C:\Program Files\ as the destination. You will be prompted to create a shortcut on your desktop. ACCEPT. HJT needs to be in its own folder so that the program itself isn't deleted by accident. Having the backups could be VITAL to restoring your system if something went wrong in the FIX process!
  • Run HijackThis
  • Click SCAN and SAVE LOG. (a notepad window will open with the log in it when you click Save Log) (Ctrl-A to'select all', Ctrl-C to 'copy')
  • POST the log into this thread using 'Add Reply' (Ctrl-V to 'paste')

DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES OR CLICK "FIX CHECKED" UNTIL WE CHECK THE LOG, AS MOST OF THE FILES ARE LEGIT AND VITAL TO THE FUNCTION OF YOUR COMPUTER

Regards,

Trevuren

segerkm

segerkm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Trevuren,

Thanks for the quick reply... sorry for my delay in posting back. I've been running Spybot a couple of time a day and it keeps coming up with these entries (though sometimes Mediaplex isn't there, but always the other two). I can tell when they've come back because I can hear the processor/drives going when they shouldn't be.

Anyway... here's my Hijack This log (I ran Spybot right before creating the log - let me know if you want me to run it again when I'm pretty sure those wicked programs are running).

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:29:41 AM, on 10/31/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SVCHOST.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\AOLACSD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\BONJOUR\MDNSRESPONDER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~2\PCCTLCOM.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~2\Tmntsrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~2\TMPFW.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apntex.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2006\pccguide.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\1141265609\EE\AOLSOFTWARE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0B\WAOL.EXE
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
c:\program files\common files\aol\1141265609\ee\services\antiSpywareApp\ver2_0_31_1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe
c:\program files\common files\aol\1141265609\ee\aolsoftware.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0B\shellmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MOZILLA FIREFOX\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~2\TMPROXY.EXE
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://r.office.micr...streg?clid=1033
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {2DC1CC8E-DA42-4D83-4911-CAF35207C15A} - C:\WINDOWS\ipbz32.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell QuickSet] C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMSX] C:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoRepair] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ISStart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pccguide.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2006\pccguide.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1141265609\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPHSend] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\IPHSend\IPHSend.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AOL Fast Start] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0B\AOL.EXE" -b
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk.disabled
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Bonjour - {7F9DB11C-E358-4ca6-A83D-ACC663939424} - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\ExplorerPlugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: MUSICMATCH MX Web Player - {d81ca86b-ef63-42af-bee3-4502d9a03c2d} - http://wwws.musicmat...enWebRadio.html (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsnsp.dll
O12 - Plugin for .avi: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin.dll
O12 - Plugin for .tif: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin5.dll
O12 - Plugin for .wav: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin2.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.frame.crazywinnings.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.frame.crazywinnings.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted IP range: 206.161.125.149
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'http' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'http' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {1A781DED-C22D-4153-3213-A3211E29DF13} (GameDesire Card Games) - http://67.15.101.3/g...ds_2_0_0_64.cab
O16 - DPF: {1E2941E3-8E63-11D4-9D5A-00902742D6E0} (iNotes Class) - https://kelly.kellys...x.Nr43,CT=java
O16 - DPF: {9600F64D-755F-11D4-A47F-0001023E6D5A} (Shutterfly Picture Upload Plugin) - http://web1.shutterf...ds/Uploader.cab
O16 - DPF: {D719897A-B07A-4C0C-AEA9-9B663A28DFCB} (iTunesDetector Class) - http://ax.phobos.app.../ITDetector.cab
O16 - DPF: {EB623776-492A-42CA-9571-3AA39F58530B} - http://www.alwaysupd...ll/aun_0018.exe
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
O23 - Service: AOL TopSpeed Monitor (AOL TopSpeedMonitor) - America Online, Inc - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Central Control Component (PcCtlCom) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~2\PcCtlCom.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Real-time Service (Tmntsrv) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~2\Tmntsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Personal Firewall (TmPfw) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~2\TmPfw.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Proxy Service (tmproxy) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~2\tmproxy.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
O23 - Service: WLTRYSVC - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
A. You need to update the version of Java that is currently on your system
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 9 from HERE
    • Scroll down to where it says "Windows Offline Installation"
    • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Once the program has finished downloading:
    • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
    • Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
    • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
    • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
    • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
    • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
    • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-1_5_0_09-windowsi586-p.exe to install the newest version.
  • Go back into the Control Panel and double-click the Java Icon.
    • Under Temporary Internet Files, click the Delete Files button.
    • There are three options in the window to clear the cache - Leave ALL 3 CheckedDownloaded Applets
      Downloaded Applications
      Other Files
  • Click OK on Delete Temporary Files Window
    Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.
  • Click OK to leave the Java Control Panel.

B.
Please run the following program:
  • Please download WinHelp2002's DelDomains by right-clicking on the following link, and choosing "Save Target As": DelDomains.inf to your Desktop
    http://www.mvps.org/.../DelDomains.inf

• Then go to the desktop, right click on DelDomains.inf, and choose Install. You may not see any noticeable changes or prompts; this is normal.
  • Then please restart your computer, and post a new HijackThis log.

Note: You will have to reimmunize with SpywareBlaster, IE-SPYADS, and/or Spybot after doing this if you were using these features before.

C.
First download AVG AntiSpyware from HERE and save that file to your desktop.
This is a 30 day trial of the program
  • Once you have downloaded AVG AntiSpyware, locate the icon on the desktop and double-click it to launch the set up program.
  • Once the setup is complete, run AVG AntiSpyware and update the definition files.
  • On the main screen select the icon "Update" then select the "Update now" link.
    • Next select the "Start Update" button, the update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
  • Once the update has completed select the "Scanner" icon at the top of the screen, then select the "Settings" tab.
  • Once in the Settings screen click on "Recommended actions" and then select "Quarantine".
  • Under "Reports"
    • Select "Automatically generate report after every scan"
    • Un-Select "Only if threats were found"
Close AVG AntiSpyware, Do Not run a scan just yet, we will shortly.
  • Reboot your computer into Safe Mode. You can do this by restarting your computer and continually tapping the F8 key until a menu appears. Use your up arrow key to highlight SafeMode then hit enter.
    IMPORTANT: Do not open any other windows or programs while AVG AntiSpyware is scanning, it may interfere with the scanning proccess:
  • Launch AVG AntiSpyware by double-clicking the icon on your desktop.
  • Select the "Scanner" icon at the top and then the "Scan" tab then click on "Complete System Scan".
  • AVG AntiSpyware will now begin the scanning process, be patient this may take a little time.
    Once the scan is complete do the following:
  • If you have any infections you will prompted, then select "Apply all actions"
  • Next select the "Reports" icon at the top.
  • Select the "Save report as" button in the lower left hand of the screen and save it to a text file on your system (make sure to remember where you saved that file, this is important).
  • Close AVG AntiSpyware and reboot your system back into Normal Mode and post the results of the report scan along with a fresh HJT log for review.
D. Please produce a fresh HJT log also

Regards,

Trevuren

segerkm

segerkm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have completed Steps A and B and a new Hijack This log is posted below. I haven't yet completed Step C because I was under the impression you should not install and run two different anti-virus programs (I'm running the Trend Micro PC-cillan). So before I continue, could you please confirm that this is okay?

(Edited to add: I misunderstood Step C and realize now it's an anti-spyware program, not an antivirus program. I'll run it now and post another Hijack This log as instructed. Sorry about that!)

Thanks!!

New Hijack This log:

Scan saved at 6:19:57 PM, on 11/1/2006

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~2\PcCtlCom.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~2\tmproxy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\fxssvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~2\TmPfw.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1141265609\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\jusched.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0B\waol.exe
c:\program files\common files\aol\1141265609\ee\services\antiSpywareApp\ver2_0_31_1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://r.office.micr...streg?clid=1033
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {2DC1CC8E-DA42-4D83-4911-CAF35207C15A} - C:\WINDOWS\ipbz32.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoRepair] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ISStart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pccguide.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2006\pccguide.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1141265609\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPHSend] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\IPHSend\IPHSend.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AOL Fast Start] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0B\AOL.EXE" -b
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\npjpi150_09.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\npjpi150_09.dll
O9 - Extra button: Bonjour - {7F9DB11C-E358-4ca6-A83D-ACC663939424} - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\ExplorerPlugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: MUSICMATCH MX Web Player - {d81ca86b-ef63-42af-bee3-4502d9a03c2d} - http://wwws.musicmat...enWebRadio.html (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .avi: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin.dll
O12 - Plugin for .tif: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin5.dll
O12 - Plugin for .wav: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin2.dll
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'http' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'http' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {1A781DED-C22D-4153-3213-A3211E29DF13} (GameDesire Card Games) - http://67.15.101.3/g...ds_2_0_0_64.cab
O16 - DPF: {1E2941E3-8E63-11D4-9D5A-00902742D6E0} (iNotes Class) - https://kelly.kellys...x.Nr43,CT=java
O16 - DPF: {9600F64D-755F-11D4-A47F-0001023E6D5A} (Shutterfly Picture Upload Plugin) - http://web1.shutterf...ds/Uploader.cab
O16 - DPF: {D719897A-B07A-4C0C-AEA9-9B663A28DFCB} (iTunesDetector Class) - http://ax.phobos.app.../ITDetector.cab
O16 - DPF: {EB623776-492A-42CA-9571-3AA39F58530B} - http://www.alwaysupd...ll/aun_0018.exe
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
O23 - Service: AOL TopSpeed Monitor (AOL TopSpeedMonitor) - America Online, Inc - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Central Control Component (PcCtlCom) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~2\PcCtlCom.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Real-time Service (Tmntsrv) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~2\Tmntsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Personal Firewall (TmPfw) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~2\TmPfw.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Proxy Service (tmproxy) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~2\tmproxy.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

Edited by segerkm, 01 November 2006 - 07:05 PM.

segerkm

segerkm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Okay.... first of all, here is the report from the AVG scan. It seems like a nice program. I didn't check out the pricing, but is it worth it? How does it rank against Ad-Aware and Spybot?

---------------------------------------------------------
AVG Anti-Spyware - Scan Report

+ Created at: 1:23:39 AM 11/2/2006

+ Scan result:

C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\MiniBugTransporter.dll -> Adware.Aws : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{2DC1CC8E-DA42-4D83-4911-CAF35207C15A} -> Adware.CoolWebSearch : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{2DC1CC8E-DA42-4D83-4911-CAF35207C15A} -> Adware.CoolWebSearch : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).
HKU\S-1-5-21-1189270710-3639182220-74423246-1007\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{2DC1CC8E-DA42-4D83-4911-CAF35207C15A} -> Adware.CoolWebSearch : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).
C:\Documents and Settings\Kathleen Seger\Cookies\kathleen seger@2o7[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kathleen Seger\Cookies\kathleen seger@advertising[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Advertising : Cleaned.
:mozilla.35:C:\Documents and Settings\Kathleen Seger\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\44b462mq.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Burstnet : Cleaned.
:mozilla.36:C:\Documents and Settings\Kathleen Seger\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\44b462mq.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Burstnet : Cleaned.
:mozilla.37:C:\Documents and Settings\Kathleen Seger\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\44b462mq.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Burstnet : Cleaned.
:mozilla.31:C:\Documents and Settings\Kathleen Seger\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\44b462mq.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Tacoda : Cleaned.
:mozilla.32:C:\Documents and Settings\Kathleen Seger\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\44b462mq.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Tacoda : Cleaned.
:mozilla.33:C:\Documents and Settings\Kathleen Seger\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\44b462mq.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Tacoda : Cleaned.
:mozilla.34:C:\Documents and Settings\Kathleen Seger\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\44b462mq.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Tacoda : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kathleen Seger\Cookies\kathleen [email protected][2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Webtrendslive : Cleaned.

::Report end

And here's the new Hijack This log:

Scan saved at 1:36:58 AM, on 11/2/2006

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPOOLSV.EXE
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG ANTI-SPYWARE 7.5\AVGAS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MOZILLA FIREFOX\FIREFOX.EXE

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe

Thanks!

KS

Edited by segerkm, 02 November 2006 - 12:41 AM.

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
A. Launch Notepad, and copy/paste everything in the codebox below into the new document, including the word REGEDIT4. Go up to "File Save As" and click the drop-down box to change the "Save As Type" to "All Files" and save it to your desktop as fixme.reg.

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\ProtocolDefaults]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\ProtocolDefaults]
@=""
"http"=dword:00000003
"https"=dword:00000003
"ftp"=dword:00000003
"file"=dword:00000003
"@ivt"=dword:00000001
"shell"=dword:00000000

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\ProtocolDefaults]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\ProtocolDefaults]
@=""
"http"=dword:00000003
"https"=dword:00000003
"ftp"=dword:00000003
"file"=dword:00000003
"@ivt"=dword:00000001
"shell"=dword:00000000

B. Locate fixme.reg on your Desktop and double-click on it. You will receive a prompt similar to: "Do you wish to merge the information into the registry?". Answer Yes and wait for a message to appear similar to Merged Successfully.

C. Reboot your computer into Safe Mode.

2. Now, please run AVG AntiSpyware again, this time telling the program to DELETE all that it finds.

D. Once AVG AntiSpyware has completed its work, please save the log and reboot your system into Normal Windows Mode.

E. Now, please post The AVG log and a new HJT log.

Regards,

Trevuren

segerkm

segerkm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Trevuren,

Thanks again for your diligent help. Requested reports/logs are below. One thing I should mention... I have a wireless network (secured) and have another PC that connects to it. That machine is a complete mess - it's a 6 year old Dell desktop running Windows 2000.

Several months ago, the Windows desktop stopped loading on start-up. Windows is running... I can open most applications by going to the Task Manager and clicking "New Task" and launching the application executable. I have one other thread on this forum about that problem, but haven't had a chance to do much with it because I simply can't run some programs at all.

Anyway... if that PC is severely infected with something, could it be contaminating this PC via the wireless network? My plan has been to just reinstall Windows, but I can't find the installation CDs. I need to get about one more year out of that system - my son is a senior in high school and I'll get him a laptop when he goes to college next fall.

Thought I'd mention it because I don't want to waste your time troubleshooting this PC if I really should address the problems with the other one first.

Thanks again,

KS

Here's the new AVG report:

AVG Anti-Spyware - Scan Report

+ Created at: 11:29:41 PM 11/2/2006

+ Scan result:

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{202550A8-7A33-4BCA-9586-051D24DDBF8F}\RP637\A0178494.dll -> Adware.Aws : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kathleen Seger\Cookies\kathleen seger@2o7[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kathleen Seger\Cookies\kathleen seger@advertising[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Advertising : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kathleen Seger\Cookies\kathleen seger@mediaplex[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Mediaplex : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kathleen Seger\Cookies\kathleen [email protected][2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Pointroll : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kathleen Seger\Cookies\kathleen seger@questionmarket[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Questionmarket : Cleaned.

::Report end

Here's the new Hijack This log:

Scan saved at 11:37:11 PM, on 11/2/2006

Running processes:
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SONIC\UPDATE MANAGER\SGTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\1141265609\EE\AOLSOFTWARE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
This shouldn't be a problem unless you have file sharing enabled.

A. 1. Download Hoster Here: http://www.funkytoad...load/hoster.zip

2. Unzip Hoster to your desktop

3. Open up the Hoster program.
  • Make sure that the "make hosts writable?" button in the upper right corner is enabled.
  • Click back up Host files
  • then click Restore orginal host files
  • close program

B. Please disable AVG AntiSpyware by opening the program and on the Status page - beside "Resident Shield" click on "change status" so that it says "inactive" for it may interfere with our HJT fix.
  • Remember to reactivate this feature when all our work is finished.

C. Please print out or copy this page to Notepad. Make sure to work through the fixes in the exact order in which they are mentioned below. If there's anything that you don't understand, ask your question(s) before proceeding with the fixes.
  • First we need to make all files and folders VISIBLE:
    • Go to start>control panel>folder options>view (tab)
    • Choose to "show hidden files and folders,"
    • Uncheck the "hide protected operating system files" and the "hide extensions for know file types" boxes.
    • Close the window with ok
  • Please RUN HijackThis.
    . Click the SCAN button to produce a log.

• Place a check mark beside each one of the following items:

• Now with all the items selected, and all windows closed except for HJT, delete them by clicking the FIX checked button. Close the HijackThis window.

• Reboot Your System in Safe Mode

How to use the F8 method to Start Your Computer in Safe Mode

• Restart the computer.
    • As soon as BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until the Advanced Options menu appears.
    • Use the arrow keys to select the Safe mode menu item
    • Press Enter.
  • Using the Add/Remove Programs module in your Control Panel, please UNINSTALL the following program(s). These programs are either malware or come bundled with malware or they are foistware, i-e programs that are usually installed without the user's consent.

Viewpoint Manager
    Viewpoint

See the following if you want a more in-depth explanation:

http://www.bleepingc...nstall/all.html

and/or

http://www.spywarewa...re.htm#products

• Using Windows Explorer (Windows Key + E), locate the following foldes, and DELETE it (if still present):

C:\Program Files\Viewpoint<==Folder

• Exit Explorer, and REBOOT BACK INTO NORMAL MODE

• Finally, RUN Hijackthis again and produce a new HJT log. Post it in this thread so we can check how everything looks now.
Regards,

Trevuren

segerkm

segerkm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Trevuren,

That you for your continued help and please accept my apologies for the delay in responding. It's serious fall clean-up time here in Michigan - especially when you live in older neighborhoods with lots of big, established trees!

Anyhoo... I followed your most recent set of instructions EXCEPT that I forgot to do Step B (disable AVG AntiSpyware). Let me know if I need to restart/repeat any of the steps due to this mistake.

The new Hijack This log is posted below.

Thanks again for your help!

~Kathleen

=======================================================

Scan saved at 1:12:58 AM, on 11/13/2006

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG ANTI-SPYWARE 7.5\AVGAS.EXE
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0B\WAOL.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0B\shellmon.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG ANTI-SPYWARE 7.5\AVGAS.EXE" /minimized
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] "C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe"