Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ps2 port problem

• Please log in to reply

fm20007

fm20007

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My 2 ps2 ports are not working. I am getting no response from either mouse or keyboard, not even at the screen to get into the cmos settings. The thing is the mouse and keyboard works fine on another pc. I was wondering what could have caused this problem.

I hooked up my cellphone with it's data cable to the front usb ports (the wiring for these ports were connected properly because I've used my flash drive before) and I got a message saying, "Power Surge on Hub Port", the screen started to blink and the pc froze and I had to restart. Upon entry into windows I got no response from mouse or keyboard. Could the ports ps2 ports have gone bad due to this?

By the way my cellphone still works and I have an msi 865pe neo2-v motherboard with a 2.13ghz celeron processor.

Any help appreciated.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
sorry to say but it sounds like you blew your motherboard...

fm20007

fm20007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I forgot to mention that windows still loads and I can use a serial mouse, but I wanted to know if plugging in the cellphone caused the ps2 ports to somehow go bad.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
very possible.. You could try to use a usb keyboard on it... hopefully the keyboard bios is 0kay...

fm20007

fm20007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried a usb keyboard and it works, all I need now is a usb mouse.

AAOROE

AAOROE

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
It sounds like the ps2 ports for both the keyboard and mouse are history. Sorry to say that. But if the USB keyboard/mouse works I wouldnt question. I personally say that USB is better than ps2

mike

fm20007

fm20007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
But does anyone know what could have actually caused the ps2 ports to go bad, is there a link between what happened with the front usb ports and the ps2 ports going bad?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
very possible..... your computer got surged.... all kinds of wierd things can go wrong ( and sorry to say could continue to go wrong ) when you get a surge like that....

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you also should not plug or unplug them with the computer on...you may get away with it several times before it cause's a problem ...BUT when it does the keyboard port you wont be able to reinstall windows unless it has a OEM restore disk...that because on the "real " windows it takes interaction using the keyboard to install windows and the OEM version a slippedstreamed version that is set to install everything "unattended" you can make a unattended install disk for your computer but its beyond a casual users ability to do....if you want to try go here...

http://www.pcstats.c...?articleID=1703

Edited by happyrck, 31 October 2006 - 03:58 PM.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
happyrck
If the bios has a plug and play enabled
and enabled usb keyboard support won't u b able to install ver. of windows?

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Vally - sometimes, depends very heavily on the BIOS. Most newer systems, you can use a very, very basic USB keyboard ok.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Sometimes when you get a surge the settings in the CMOS can get all funky and can cause the motherboard to not properly identify and use certain components on the motherboard. I had this happen alot, especially when someone tried to plug something in the front usb ports, like a digital camera, etc... To fix this, I reset the CMOS settings. To do this follow the instructions below. It's not gauranteed to work, but won't hurt anything if it doesn't and so is worth a shot.

Fenor

------------------

To reset the CMOS do the following:
  • Turn off your computer
  • Remove the power cord from the back of your computer
  • Open the side panel
  • Locate the CMOS battery (it's shiny stainless steel about the size of a nickel) and remove it
  • Wait at LEAST five minutes
  • Put the CMOS battery back in
  • Re-attach the side panel
  • Re-attach the power cord to the back of the computer
  • Power on your computer
You will probably get a CMOS checksum error first time booting after doing this. Don't worry this is NORMAL. It only means that you need to set the date & time on your computer again. It should say to press one of the Function keys or the DEL key to enter SETUP. Do so and reset the correct date & time. Make sure you SAVE CHANGES before you exit setup.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

happyrck
If the bios has a plug and play enabled
and enabled usb keyboard support won't u b able to install ver. of windows?

did not work on the only one I tried it on that had usb keyboard support in the bios...had to replace the mobo on that system....might work on others...I recommend you don't "hot swap" the PS/2 ports

fm20007

fm20007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
But If I reset the cmos, I believe the usb legacy setting is turned off by default and I wont be able to get back into the cmos settings with a usb keyboard or even press one of the function keys. But if I don't reset the cmos settings and install a usb adapter card with 4 ports, should I be able to use a usb mouse and keyboard to get into the bios? Would the cmos settings allow me to enter with the use of the usb pci card?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I don't know if this helps but I just tried it on my computer...I have a logitech cordless usb keyboard and mouse....and I got to my bios....my bios has usb enabled and the bios is configured to control the loading of the drivers and IRQ's...not sure what will happen to you if you reset the CMOS though...maybe someone else will know for sure