Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Missing Document .... Please Read!

• Please log in to reply

rilarilasssss

rilarilasssss

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi!

I need some help finding a Word document that I've. Here's what happened..

I was working on my computer in word and noticed that very open a window would pop up to ask me to save my work .. I've tried saving in the same file name but it couldn't work .. so I always added a numeral behind it... F.G Essay 1, Essay 2 , Essay 3

So anyway I've saved my document for the last time and prepared to print it ... when there was a total disk failure and my laptop was forced to shut down.

I restarted my laptop and found that all the files I've saved in WORD were LOST!! I.E Essay is still there .. but Essay 1, Essay 2, Essay 3 onwards including my last draft was lost. The files still appeared in the folder but all of them were o bytes in size and when I tried to open it .. office prompted me to install a converter... I don't have my official CD with me so I couldn't install it ..

Is there any way I can still open all the previous word documents ? I've tried looking in the temp folder and doing a search under the filename but couldn't find anything at all...

Please help!!

Advertisements

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
If ou are using windows XP try system restore.
However it sounds like your index's of your partion were currupted during that crash. I would try the following.
1. Go to Start>Run and type cmd
2. Type the following into the command promt that should of appared,
chkdsk /r
3. It should say you need to reboot to cheak you disk.
4. if the documents were saved on a diffrent partion then the C: drive you need to type the drive letter followed by a :\ and then the chkdsk /r

Hope this works in some way.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

If ou are using windows XP try system restore.

system restore won't effect data files...just a note

what version of word?

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I was under the impresstion that it can as i have both used it for such and seem it used for such, however i may well be mistaken.

Edit:
Sorry i was wrong i remembered that it was somthing else. He he.

Edited by Haz, 26 October 2006 - 02:19 PM.

rilarilasssss

rilarilasssss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for replying guys ..

My version of Word is the 2003 version.

Anyway this whole thing is sorta tied in to a general instability in my system... my computer shuts down suddenly often (showing a blue screen and saying it's a physical dump of memory). The screen advised that I go to the Bios memoery options and disable cache or shadowing but I was unable to do this at the startup.. my did press F2 and F8 but they didn't seem to have those options .. and the comp just hangs up when I try to enter into SAFE mode..

Basically it takes me 5 minutes to start up Firefox whenever I double click on it .. same thing for any MS office applications... everything is slowed to a crawl..

Any advice?

Thanks ..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...we can try to work on the other stuff...but...in an attempt to see if your document is still available....
open word then
click on start > programs > microsoft office > look for the "microsoft office tools" > then find "recover office appllication" > in the window that pops up..select word and choose "recover" it will ask you to close word > close it...then let it do it's job...when it opens word back up...IF there was an autosave done it SHOULD show y ou the autosaved versions of the lost document....it may not be the whole thing....but it should be part of it

rilarilasssss

rilarilasssss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've tried the application recovery but the document didn't show up.. guess it wasn't autosaved ... :whistling:

Anyway ... my PC is working horribly.. does anyone know how to fix the sudden 'physical dump' shut down problem.. and ny reason why it takes 4 minutes to open an application on my computer? It's horribly slow..

I have more than 4 gigs of space on both drives...however I've checked my windows task manager and it shows that PF usage is 533mb but CPU usage is consistently 90 to 100%.

First time I had this problem .. so if you can point me in the right direction ... thanks!

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Viruses and spyware/adware and possibly some errors on your RAM (Memtest good to cheak that) download and scan with these programs, AVG, Spybot and Ad-aware and that should help also go to www.activescan.com and scan your pc and see what it says. :whistling: