Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Western Digital Drive

• Please log in to reply

baumer

baumer

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a Western Digital External USB Disk Drive. Recently the logo under my computer ( running XP Home with SP 2 ) vanished. I contacted WD and they told me to create a folder directly on the root of the drive. They gave an example of E: AUTORUN. I have no idea how to go about doing this.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. What to do is create a Shortcut, which is usually done by right-clicking on the desktop, and selecting new, and then shortcut. A window will appear and ask you where to point the shortcut to. Click on Browse, and find your way to the drive, click on it, and click on next. Once it makes the shortcut, you should be able to double click on it and view the contents.

baumer

baumer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
For some reason I still have not been able to do this for some reason. Got any ideas?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
It won't work? Do you see the option to create a new shortcut?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is the drive actually being detected when it's attached to the computer and turned on?

right click on my computer > chose manage > chose device manager > open up the disk drive section > do you see the WD drive listed there? expand the usb section. do you see the WD drive there?

right click on my computer > chose manage > choose disk management > do you see the WD hard drive in the list of disks?

if you don't see the drive in either location let us know

if you DO see the drive in device manager but not in disk manager...let us know

if you see it in both places:

Right click on the drive in disk management and choose "assign drive letter" pick a letter that isn't already used like E: or F:

does it show up in my computer now?

(sorry for jumping in SK....i've just never heard of someone creating a shortcut to a drive....i'm sure it's doable...but...not preferable..)

baumer

baumer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I did what you told me to do. I assigned it a new drive letter under disk management. NOW everything is back to normal. Thanks to both of you for your help. I never would have figured it out. THANKS again...

Gary

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well put dsenette :whistling: Come back and see us if you have any more questions :blink: