Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network

• Please log in to reply

Lachie

Lachie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
SpaceCowboy & dsenette,

Have tried to connect, selected encryption (WEP), still not able to connect. Windows tries to find and connect to my network, but is unable to complete - no reason given.

Thats is the latest.

Regards

Lachie

Advertisements

Lachie

Lachie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
dsenette,

Had 'disconnected the WEP security as suggested by SpaceCowboy, so that is why the connection was done without a request for an encryption key.

Lachie

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in the wireless connection doodad...there should be a section for profiles or prefered networks... (my wireless is acting up...so it's difficult for me to get to the screen you're seeing)...if you see any profiles there....remove them

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ah...so you've turned off wep?

Lachie

Lachie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yeah, going to turn it on again, see what happens. I shall see what else I can do. Back soon.

Appreciating the help.

Lachie

Lachie

Lachie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
dsenette,

OK turned on the WEP. Tried to connect, windows tells me I'm not connected, but again, the Wireless Network connection box has a button at the bottom right hand corner for me to disconnect. The icon in the taskbar, at the bottom right of the screen, also informs me, I am not connected.

What IS going on here???

Regards

Lachie

Lachie

Lachie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Unable to remove other networks too.

L

Lachie

Lachie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Again, just trie dto connect.

For the first time, I was asked to put in the WEP key - which I had removed, the key was accepted. Windows tried to connect, the info box told me I had, but the wireless network box tells me I am not connect, as does the icon in the taskbar.

Lachie

Lachie

Lachie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
SpaceCowboy,

Could there be a clash with a windows generated WEP/WPA key and a WEP/WPA key, generated by the router?? I have been able to get a WEP key by setting up a wireless home network through windows. But the router also gave me one previously. Can I counter command the routers WEP key, to use the one given by windows???

Lachie

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Wooh we got way off track here by my abscence... Sorry I work a 12 hour shift on monday's and just got home (Cox Com. is crackin the whip before winter gets here). Lets do this the easy way and eliminate all previous settings and configurations. Please follow these steps:

Unplug power from your modem
Unplug power from your router
Go to the Start button
Click on Run and type in: ncpa.cpl and click the OK button
Locate your Wireless Device form the Local Area Connection titles and right click on it
Select Properties and this will open the Wireless Network Connection Properties window
Click on the Wireless Networks tab
At the very top make there is a check in the box for "Use windows to configure my wireless network settings"
Under the Preferred Networks section Select each broadcast and then click the Remove Button for each one
After they are all removed click the Ok button and you will be back at the Network connections window.
Shut down the computer
Plug power into the router
On the back of the router locate the Factory restore button (should be a tiny button located inside a tiny hole
Press and hold the button in for about 1 minute or until the lights on the router start blinking rapidly
Let off the button and wait for the router to resume normal operation
Unplug power from your router
Plug power into the modem
Wait for it to Boot all they way up.... normal operation
Plug power into the router
Wait for it to Boot all they way up.... normal operation
Turn the computer on... wait for it to boot all the way up
Go to the Start button
Click on Run and type in: ncpa.cpl and click the OK button
Locate your Wireless Device form the Local Area Connection titles and right click on it
Select "View available Wireless Networks"
Click the "Refresh Network List" link on the left
Now on the right side of the window you should see your broadcast (will be a default ssid not what you named it earlier)
yours should look similar to this: (Other than the broadcast name)
2.JPG
If it does not and has a Gold Star or a Padlock or anything else let me know <Reply 1>
Click the connect button down below
and then the window should look like this: (Other than the broadcast name)
3.JPG
If it does not let me know. <Reply 2>
If it does then see if you can get on the internet now. <Reply 3>

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Wooh we got way off track here by my abscence

sorry...thought i saw a way in while you were gone

Lachie

Lachie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi guys,

How you doin??
My colleague who built the computer came back from holiday (Vacation) last night and called to ask how things were.
Dont worry I gave you guys the big up, he knew about this site too, when I told him I had to use some assistance, he was able to take me through the process over the phone. It's pretty much sorted, needs a tweak here and there.

dsenette, you were not getting in the way, I VERY much appreciate your help and advice, so all OK with me on that.
SpaceCowboy, thanx very much indeed for your help, I didn't know how much assistance was out there and how many good people there were around - why cant the whole world be like that???
I'm sure Cox com will give you lots of cash for Christmas!!

I'll keep looking in on this site, maybe 'bump' into you again.

I hope you guys take care and peace.

Thanx again & Kind regards

Lachie

aodhan51

aodhan51

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Moved to new thread

Aodhan

Edited by aodhan51, 31 October 2006 - 01:27 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
nope...not the thread to ask in....start your own in this same forum (the networking forum) so that your issue doesn't get confused with the original one

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

sorry...thought i saw a way in while you were gone

No worries, your the network god as we all know :whistling:

Glad your problem was fixed lachie.