Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Large print-job failing

• Please log in to reply

adams0423

adams0423

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I'm working with someone who is trying to send a large print job (320MB, 20page PDF document) to a laser printer that only has 64MB of RAM. It fails consistently if it is set to spool. I tried changing the printer settings to send the job directly to the printer rather than spooling and this also failed.

Any other suggestions to try, or does he just need to get a new copy of the PDF that is shrunk down to a reasonable size?

Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you tried setting it to print in reverse order and also setting it to print 25 pages of it and so on

adams0423

adams0423

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
The job is only 20 pages... He tried printing just a few pages at a time and still failed. I can have him try printing in reverse order, but I don't understand... What difference would that make?

Thanks

<quote>Have you tried setting it to print in reverse order and also setting it to print 25 pages of it and so on</quote>

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Reverse order was just so that it printed from the last page to first so it could be picked up from the printer tray as the finished document

At 16MB per page it should print one page

Some printers are fussy about being connected directly to a USB port of the PC, rather than through a hub

adams0423

adams0423

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Hmm, this printer is on the network... It is connected through a switch. It can't be connected directly...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it text, or text and images

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I suspect you will need to reduce the size of the file. Part of the problem is how laser printers work, compared to something like an inkjet printer. The laser printer needs to process the complete page in order to know what to do, especially with postscript/pdf files. This means it needs a lot of memory for some pages. An inkjet can have the data sent a scan line at a time, reducing the amount of memory needed.

I had a document which I could not print on my laser printer, but worked find on my inkjet. It was just too big for the memory of the laser printer.

You can try printing it a single page at a time, but I suspect you will have the same problem, at least with some or all of the pages, depending on what is on each page. Some pages may print, if the data on the page is smaller.