Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with hardrive

• Please log in to reply

acdc9111

acdc9111

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hears my question i have a 40g hardrive and it is currently full ive have deleted some big files but still i do not have enough space to dl a game witch is 5.1gb when i go to my control panel and look at the programs to romove there they are low mb files that wouldnt do anything if i deleted them or uninstalled them.so what is taking up so much space and if i have to reformate how do i do it to where i can save some of my files?or can i just solve it some other way to free space.

please help would be most apprechiated
thx

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Buy a bigger hard drive.

Then use something like Norton Ghost or other similar programs to clone the lot over. Job done.

acdc9111

acdc9111

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
can u give me some programs? besides norton ghost

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
There are various options here, but honestly the simpliest would be just to buy an extenal harddrive caddie, and then use any old harddrive as your backup, OK you are not going to find a 40gb harddrive lying around but peple throw away 6gb, 10gb, 15gb 20gb and 30gb harddrive all the time, here is an idea of how cheap caddies are

http://computers.lis...ListingItemList

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this will show you what the big files are...
you can burn to CDs or DVDS any large files and then delete them off your computer to free up space..
adding another hard drive is another option...they are cheap

SpaceMonger is a tool for keeping track of the free space on your computer. Each file or folder on a given drive is displayed in a box in the main window whose size is a relative comparison to all the other files in your system. The program supports popup info-tips that can display the full filename, the icon, the date, size, and attributes of any file or folder. You can delete files from the right click menu and customize the number of files to be shown as well as the color scheme.
Download SpaceMonger
Freeware

http://www.snapfiles...pacemonger.html

acdc9111

acdc9111

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks happyrck

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator