Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

program will not open

• Please log in to reply

ronnie

ronnie

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I moved my hard drive as a slave from old computer (millennium) to new computer XP.
I cannot open my Works or Excel program. Says some files can’t be found.
Is there something hidden in the system folder of Millennium that does not appear in the XP system folder? If so, how do I locate and move it. :whistling:

Thanks
Ron

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, welcome to this site
remember we are working blind so bare with us
to help others reply to your question
if you haven't mentioned it yet:
- what model of computer
- what os, XPpro or home
- how old is it

ronnie

ronnie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
computer is a new "everex GA 3400" generic desk top running XP home.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi ronnie...

Have you installed these applications to the XP registry? Programs can be installed to any drive, but must be installed to the registry they will be run from.

wannabe1

ronnie

ronnie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
No, I do not have the original install disc from my old computer.
I boot up with XP home, and try to open program from my second drive (slave from old computer).
I’m not sure how to locate and move the applications to the XP registry.

Ron

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Something I am missing here, normally I thought one cannot transfer programs across systems, or else no one would buy a new copy of them so when one is moving house one can take the old system and slave it to the new system as you have done but with that one can only transfer data and permittable programs, of which Office isn't one.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
They'll have to be installed just like they were on the old drive. If you don't have the original cd's, it may prove impossible to make them work.

For a free alternative, try OpenOffice. You should be able to access your saved documents using this and you can use it just like the MS Office suite.