Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Creating an XP CD

• Please log in to reply

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Brt's way to create bootable win xp CD with SP This guide really helped me out cuz it created a bootable (only one and not six like the recovery ones) CD. the thing is i am on a XP HOME OEM copy of XP from COMPAQ, this CD booted and iniciated properaly although i haven't tried it yet for reforamtting or fixing probelms, will it wokr, considering i used the 1386 folder from the WINDOWS directory? it has SP2 slipstreamed on to it.

-OCM770-

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
It should work inasmuch as it will install a basic, minimal copy of Windows, but you will most likely find if you do a format and re-install with it, some of the internal hardware won't work such as video-card and graphics-card since those drivers are on the recovery discs.

Also many of the original applications will be missing for the same reason -- that's why there are six recovery discs - there's much more stuff to install to get your PC back up and running with everything working and all included programs present. Your single CD won't have any of that.

Edited by pip22, 27 October 2006 - 10:13 PM.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
That is another reason why i created that CD, so i wouln't have the additionsl apps such as AOL, Norton 2004, Easy Internet Access, etc.. As for the drivers... i could put them on the CD as separate files and then i would have them there when i did a reformat, this CD i guess would also make only one partition and not two like the machine has right now (C:\ and D:\) D:\ is were all the recovery files are located.

Would my XP Key on the COA sticker work? would i be able to activate it?

-OCM770-