Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Usage issue

• Please log in to reply

Buzz Buzz

Buzz Buzz

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well, Metallica recommended I post here, because my problem is apparently not malware related. Original thread is located: http://www.geekstogo...s...135082&st=0

Essentially, there are a number of things that will kill my computer in the following way. I'll be doing something in a program, and that program will start to use around 50% of my CPU. If I kill that program using Task Manager, the CPU Usage will go to normal temporarily until I click into some other programs. It appears that AIM and WinAmp, probably among others, will not accept the 50% CPU Usage, but if I click into other programs, that program will begin to use 50% CPU. Often, this persists until I restart the computer. As I restart, the usage seems to have no problem going into any program whatsoever.

So I'm stumped, Metallica's stumped, there's a lot of stumpage going on here. We tried a number of solutions in that previous thread and none of them were ultimately successful. Please help in any way ya can.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
after getting Trillion and installing it...use the add remove section in the control panel to remove any other IM programs....if you HAVE to use IM then you might want to get AVAST anti virus...its the only anti virus that would scan IM's the last time I checked...they are free

Trillian is a fully featured, stand-alone, skinnable chat client that supports AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo Messenger, and IRC. It provides capabilities not possible with original network clients, while supporting standard features such as audio chat, file transfers, group chats, chat rooms, buddy icons, multiple simultaneous connections to the same network, server-side contact importing, typing notification, direct connection (AIM), proxy support, encrypted messaging (AIM/ICQ), SMS support, and privacy settings.

Without stealing your home page and with no other included software, pop-ups, or spyware, Trillian provides unique functionality such as contact message history, a powerful skinning language, tabbed messaging, global status changes (set all networks away at once), Instant Lookup (automatic Wikipedia integration), contact alerts, an advanced automation system to trigger events based on anything happening in the client, docking, hundreds of emoticons, emotisounds, shell extensions for file transfers, and systray notifications.

Version 3.1 adds a new identity feature that helps you organize your home and work contact lists, HTML editing for AIM profiles, UPnP support, enhanced IRC performance, and speed enhancements.

get it here

http://www.download....0-10047473.html

Buzz Buzz

Buzz Buzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yeah, so, switching to Trillian didn't solve the problem. My computer still crashes in the same way I described earlier.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Well, Metallica recommended I post here, because my problem is apparently not malware related. Original thread is located: http://www.geekstogo...s...135082&st=0

Essentially, there are a number of things that will kill my computer in the following way. I'll be doing something in a program, and that program will start to use around 50% of my CPU. If I kill that program using Task Manager, the CPU Usage will go to normal temporarily until I click into some other programs. It appears that AIM and WinAmp, probably among others, will not accept the 50% CPU Usage, but if I click into other programs, that program will begin to use 50% CPU. Often, this persists until I restart the computer. As I restart, the usage seems to have no problem going into any program whatsoever.

So I'm stumped, Metallica's stumped, there's a lot of stumpage going on here. We tried a number of solutions in that previous thread and none of them were ultimately successful. Please help in any way ya can.

Yeah, you guys seemed to have tried everything..

What kind of pc is it? How fast is your processor and what kind is it? How much memory do you have?

How many antivirus programs are you simultaneously running at the same time if any??

When was the last time your computer did not mess up or have any problems whatsoever at all and didnt bog down to 50% cpu usage?

Have you tried updating your video card drivers stated in the link that metallica posted?? http://kb.mozillazin...Afee_Anti-virus

Have you tried another browser yet like metallica said like opera? I also suggest trying netscape if you already havnt too.

Im afraid since nothing has fixed the problem you might have to reload and reformat your harddrive or you can also try going back in time with the restore point application included with windows xp if you have xp that is..

Reloading windows would be the absolute last option but I wouldnt reload your windows just yet. Remember if you reload windows and reformat the harddrive all of your data will be lost so make shure you backup any data you might want to keep on a spare harddrive, external harddrive, dvd's whatever..

Buzz Buzz

Buzz Buzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
My computer is a Compaq Presario SR1170NX. It's got a 2.8 gHz processor and 512 MB RAM. Graphics card is an nVidia GeForce FX5200. I'm running Windows XP with SP2. I'm fully updated with Windows Update. My only virus scan software is McAfee, I believe it's 1 version old, but this version is still being updated and my installation of it is fully updated.

Unfortunately, I don't think that going back to a previous restore point is an option, since during my preparations to post a HijackThis log, the instructions had me clear out my Restore Points.

The first time the computer experienced this issue was probably about 2 weeks ago. The play module of Magic Workstation was the first program to experience the issue, but then Firefox, SetPoint, and UltraTV followed suit.

I haven't tried another browser simply because the problem isn't localized to the browser. Other programs crash in a similar fashion, so I figure that it's not Firefox's fault.

I'll update my video drivers, although the ones I currently have installed are only about 4 months old.

Buzz Buzz

Buzz Buzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Video drivers updated, crash still occurs. :whistling:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yeah running out of options...

have you tried getting rid of some stuff on windows startup that comes up on the taskbar. Like programs that you dont necessarily need on startup.

goto run and type msconfig. ONLY go into the startup tab. Dont mess with any of the other tabs. In the startup tab be shure not to uncheck necessary items.

Do you see any program using up all that cpu usage in the task manager? If so which program is it?

The only other option I know as of now is to reload windows with a fresh install.

A fresh Install will fix your problem all together, its something hidden or you got ahold of something which we cannot figure out.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets start by turning off indexing...click on start....my computer...right click on the C drive....
then left click on properties....uncheck ...allow indexing service to index this drive..including sub folders...this may take anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes depending on how big the hard drive is and how much data you have

then lets try cleaning out all the unnecessary junk...get ccleaner and run the cleaner only and nothing else
the standard settings are good

http://www.filehippo...nload_ccleaner/

then get regseeker...run the registry cleaner...it will make a backup of what it cleanes...sooo after it completes running click select all and then click the delete key on your keyboard....

http://www.snapfiles.../regseeker.html

then get diskeeper lite and run it....you don't have to run it in safe mode ......

http://www.majorgeek...ad.php?det=1207

you might also try starting in safe mode and removing all the JAVA versions you have and then get the newest version

Edited by happyrck, 29 October 2006 - 07:32 PM.