Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Primary Hard Disk Drive 1 Not Found

• Please log in to reply

wayne christian

wayne christian

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I just got this DELL Dimension 4300 to repair for this guy. When I plugged it in, it automatically started without me pressing the on button. Then, it gives me the message iin the title. I tried to go to F2 and F1 (as instructed), without any results. I am needing to reinstall the "C" hard drive, but I cannot get past this screen. I have XP Professional running on this particular system. I also need to post this as it is on the screen too, Phoenix ROM BIOS Plus Version 1.10 AO2
I went into setup and turned Priomaery drive 1 off, but this didn't help, my other drives for the CD and the DVD I have turned off, but I still get the disk read error. I also do not know what the primary hard disk drive 1 is, as it says "unknown", but drive 0 has the serial number, so I know this is the hard drive I need to boot from, but I cannot get the system to stop trying to boot from the wrong drive, which I am assuming is that Drive 1 that it keeps going to when I restart. And if I change the mode on disk drive 1 to off I get the "disk read error please restart" etc...

Edited by wayne christian, 28 October 2006 - 01:00 PM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Wayne
Lets look at the Diagnostic codes on the back of the machine.
Dell Diagnostic
Also in the bios have you checked the settings for the boot order?