Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Application to save all settings on child's computer

• Please log in to reply

AshleyQuick

AshleyQuick

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm not looking for protection software for safe surfing. I am looking for recommendations on programs that will run on Windows 2000 that will essentially freeze the computer so that my child cannot inadvertently mess up any of the settings/programs, etc.?

I'd like it so that once the computer is rebooted, everything is restored...similar to the way a restore point would work in XP.

Edited by AshleyQuick, 28 October 2006 - 01:50 PM.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. You're in luck. What I'm going to introduce here is DeepFreeze Standard Edition. It's a program made so that NO changes can be made to the files of that computer unless unfrozen (password protected). Here's an example. The child one day manages to find his/her way into the Windows Folder and deletes a few things, which would normally make the computer messed up. Well, once that computer restarts with DeepFreeze enabled (it can only be turned off if you have a password) then all files or settings changed will be restored, just the way you left it before, no problems. Now, here's the only little catch. First, nothing can be left on the desktop while the computer is "frozen". Once you restart, it will disappear, so be careful and make sure that you unfreeze the computer when you want to save something safely. The same goes for games. This program means business, so you'll need to spend some time with the child to help install games and such so that it all goes right. Don't worry, it's very good software. The price is $29.95 USD, and you can order it by following this link: http://www.faronics.com/html/order.asp ... Once again, this is Deep Freeze Standard for Windows.

Now, if you're not quite sure if you want to buy this, and you want to try it first, go right ahead! You can download a trial version for 30 days here: http://www.faronics....html/choose.asp ...\

Keep us updated, and don't be afraid to ask questions :whistling: