Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd-dvd rom drive is missing

• Please log in to reply

layzee

layzee

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, so my brother told me that his cd/dvd drive is missing so first i did some research and i tried "cdgone" which it didn't work =\.

Then i try to follow these steps from this site http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553 but then I notice that I did not have the upperfilter and lowerfilters so no luck on this one either.

I then went to his device manager and I notice there was no "dvd cd rom drives" so i tried to unplug the dvd from the motherboard and plug it back in...but nothing happen. So here I am here posting here to see if you guys can help me solve this problem :whistling:

ps: the os is winxp professional

Advertisements

02rja

02rja

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Im not an expert but try:

1. checking the jumper pins on the back of the DVD drive, the connecter may have fallen off or something.
2. Download the drivers for the drive and see what happens when you install them, it might come back
3. check all of the connections, maybe try plugging it onto a different part of the IDE
4. Check that it has power, does the drive open and close? maybe try connecting a different power socket to the back of the drive
5. Go start -> all prgrams -> accessories -> system tools - > system info -> components -> CD ROM and see if it is listed there.

My friend had a Philips DVD drive that stopped functioning, but it turned out the the drives were just [bleep] and stopped working after a while, so google your drive name and see if anyone else is having problems.

hope it helps, but as i said im not an expert so it may not

layzee

layzee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
1.did that yesterday
2.i am not sure what drivers i need, since my brother bought this computer 2 years ago and the dvd just came with it
3.same as #1
4.it open and closes...just the dvd rom but not the cd rom
5.when i click on cd rom it displays nothing...

thanks for trying to help though :blink:

is it even possible to get it back? :whistling:

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Hi, so my brother told me that his cd/dvd drive is missing so first i did some research and i tried "cdgone" which it didn't work =\.

Then i try to follow these steps from this site http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553 but then I notice that I did not have the upperfilter and lowerfilters so no luck on this one either.

I then went to his device manager and I notice there was no "dvd cd rom drives" so i tried to unplug the dvd from the motherboard and plug it back in...but nothing happen. So here I am here posting here to see if you guys can help me solve this problem :whistling:

ps: the os is winxp professional

Check the BIOS and see if someone was playing with the setting and if they disable the CD Drive (like on the primary slave), then enable it.

Im not an expert but try:

1. checking the jumper pins on the back of the DVD drive, the connecter may have fallen off or something.
2. Download the drivers for the drive and see what happens when you install them, it might come back
3. check all of the connections, maybe try plugging it onto a different part of the IDE
4. Check that it has power, does the drive open and close? maybe try connecting a different power socket to the back of the drive
5. Go start -> all prgrams -> accessories -> system tools - > system info -> components -> CD ROM and see if it is listed there.

My friend had a Philips DVD drive that stopped functioning, but it turned out the the drives were just [bleep] and stopped working after a while, so google your drive name and see if anyone else is having problems.

hope it helps, but as i said im not an expert so it may not

I used to have a Philips CD/DVD Drive. The drive was dead completely that I couldn't even open the drive due to the shortage.

layzee

layzee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i set the bios in the default settings but its still missing =\

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
can you even open the cd drive?

layzee

layzee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yes, it open and closes, when i pop in a dvd disc in there i can hear it spin for a sec then it stays all quiet

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Is the IDE cable connected correctly?

- The side of the cable has a blue or red stripe that side should b next to the power conection.

- Is the cable inseterd correctly? I mean that if u disconnect the cable there r 3 conectors.
2 r close 2 eachother and one further away. the one further away goes to the mother board the other 2 to your cd and cdr/w dvd...

layzee

layzee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yes it is inserted correctly, no one ever touched IDE cable until my brother found out that the dvd drive is missing then that is when i started to look into it

could it be that my brother installed something on his computer because when i searched around google, I read on the other forums that when some people installed a program to burn that is when they notice that there drive is missing also, but my brother dont have any burner program

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
try reinstalling your drive.