Hi, so my brother told me that his cd/dvd drive is missing so first i did some research and i tried "cdgone" which it didn't work =\.
Then i try to follow these steps from this site http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553 but then I notice that I did not have the upperfilter and lowerfilters so no luck on this one either.
I then went to his device manager and I notice there was no "dvd cd rom drives" so i tried to unplug the dvd from the motherboard and plug it back in...but nothing happen. So here I am here posting here to see if you guys can help me solve this problem
ps: the os is winxp professional
Check the BIOS and see if someone was playing with the setting and if they disable the CD Drive (like on the primary slave), then enable it.
Im not an expert but try:
1. checking the jumper pins on the back of the DVD drive, the connecter may have fallen off or something.
2. Download the drivers for the drive and see what happens when you install them, it might come back
3. check all of the connections, maybe try plugging it onto a different part of the IDE
4. Check that it has power, does the drive open and close? maybe try connecting a different power socket to the back of the drive
5. Go start -> all prgrams -> accessories -> system tools - > system info -> components -> CD ROM and see if it is listed there.
My friend had a Philips DVD drive that stopped functioning, but it turned out the the drives were just [bleep] and stopped working after a while, so google your drive name and see if anyone else is having problems.
hope it helps, but as i said im not an expert so it may not
I used to have a Philips CD/DVD Drive. The drive was dead completely that I couldn't even open the drive due to the shortage.