Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FireWall - IP Address Question

• Please log in to reply

-clueless-

-clueless-

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello,

Not sure if this is the spot to ask this question, but here goes.

I have Zone Alarm installed and I keep getting a message that it blocked an attack on my PC from an IP address of 192.168.x.xx
Furhter information says it may be a part of my local network. I am running a home network with 7 PC's and a couple of printers.
My question is this. How do I find out if that specific address is a part of my local network? I looked in the router and the ranges are very close but I can't find that specific address.

Any help is appreciated.

CLUELESS :whistling:

Advertisements

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
I had a similar problem just a few days ago.

If you go to "my network places" and then click on "network connections", there should be all of your connections. And double click on any of them, then click on the support tab, there will be an IP address.

Hope that helps.

-clueless-

-clueless-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks,

Unfortunately only one of the connections has an IP associated with it and its not the one I'm looking for. Does the modem have an IP Address? The warning said something about it was trying to Ping my PC. The other PC with Zone Alarm came up with the same message at the same time. I'm thinking it may be either the router or the modem? Could it also be the printer? I have it on a wireless connection.

ClueLess

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
I'm not sure but in my case, it was the IP of the wireless gateway.

I think another way you can find the IP address is to go to http://home on your browser and there should be a place to find the IP of all of the devices in your network.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi there,

More than likely it's Netbios traffic. If you have file and printer sharing enabled then some of that traffic is often blocked or flagged by firewalls.