Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Restarts by itself

• Please log in to reply

turiaf

turiaf

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
not sure which forum to post this problem in. anyways, at the xp welcome screen, the comp just restarts. each time. this is probably due to viruses or spyware. I need serious help. I'm not that knowledgeable with computers. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisements

Neodude103

Neodude103

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Have you tried booting up in safe mode?

Your computer rebooting by itself could be caused by a large number of problems from a hardware to a software issue.

I would suggest that you boot up in safe mode first, if that works then that will rule out some possibilities, if you can run an antivirus program, spybot and a registry cleaner if you can. It would also be advised that you get a Hijackthis log and post in in the correct forum and ask if there is a problem there.

Or, other likely reasons is that you need to upgrade your Bios, ask your Manufacturer as to what the latest Bios is for your computer. It could also likely be a failure of your graphics card.

Do you see any errors of sorts when you boot up at all?

turiaf

turiaf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Have you tried booting up in safe mode?

Your computer rebooting by itself could be caused by a large number of problems from a hardware to a software issue.

I would suggest that you boot up in safe mode first, if that works then that will rule out some possibilities, if you can run an antivirus program, spybot and a registry cleaner if you can. It would also be advised that you get a Hijackthis log and post in in the correct forum and ask if there is a problem there.

Or, other likely reasons is that you need to upgrade your Bios, ask your Manufacturer as to what the latest Bios is for your computer. It could also likely be a failure of your graphics card.

Do you see any errors of sorts when you boot up at all?

thanks for the reply.

i tried booting up in safe mode, but it still restarts. i dont notice anything else. at the welcome screen, i click my profile, the screen turns black for a few seconds, then resstarts. any toher ideas?

Neodude103

Neodude103

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
What were you doing before this problem came up? Can you tell me what you did exactly before this started happening? Did you run a antivirus/spybot/registry cleaner of any sort? Did you install a new program? Anything like that could possibly explain the problem.

What is the history of your computer? How old is it, what are the specs? What is the manufacturer?

Would you happen to have an emergency boot disk or recovery cd?

Since your computer is restarting when trying to boot with safe mode and in normal mode, it would most likely be a hardware issue. If the problem was with the graphics card then your computer would boot up in safe mode, if it was a malicious program then safe mode should also work just fine. Was your computer acting weird in any sort of way before this happened though?

turiaf

turiaf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
windows xp

processors speed: 2.53 ghz intel pentiium 4

hard drive holds about 80 gb

RAM - 512 kb

cpu is about 4 years old

i dont much else, cuz the cpu was built for us and i'm dumb.

before this happened, i installed some program. it hink thats what caused it. my cpu started going slow, with pop-ups and stuff. i got impatient so i just turned it off. next day, its starting this restarting business.

wmerideth

wmerideth

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Do you have your Win XP CD available?

wmerideth

wmerideth

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Also, when you get to the boot up screen when you can choose if you want to boot normally, safe mode, last known good configuration, etc., have you tried the option for last know good configuration?

Neodude103

Neodude103

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes, try using the last known good configuration, that never works about 90% of the time for me, but go ahead and give it a try.

Can you tell me which program you installed right before your computer started resetting itself? Was your computer acting weird before you installed this or after this?

Did you turn off the computer using the power button or through the windows shutdown button?

Edited by Neodude103, 30 October 2006 - 08:46 AM.