Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error oxc000005 - Is my RAM stick burning out ?

• Please log in to reply

scottportraits

scottportraits

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
[size=6]

Oct 29 10.30pm est

Hello,
I often get an error message which shuts down an app, oxc0000005.
The chat room tech at the app's help center said it had to do with 'virtual memory' problems, and that I should test the two RAM sticks in my PC to see if any sector is burning out.
One RAM stick is 518 and came with the PC (brand new a few weeks ago), and the other, 1 GB, was bought off EBay and lived in the old PC which also got this error message.

Maybe the Ebay one was already somewhat used when I bought it.

Do you recommend any HD/RAM diagnostic tool to run in safe-mode and test the two RAM sticks ? A freeware diagnostic tool would be good, but there is no floppy 'A' drive on this new model and the few diagnostic tools I've downloaded require you first burn a floppy to boot up from.

Thanks for any help/advice you may have.

-scottportraits

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get Memtest86+...burn the ISO to cd...reboot with the cd in the drive...its free...let it run for at least 3 hours...if you start gettin a bunch of errors...remove the RAM you bought from ebay and test the stick that came with your computer...my money is on the ebay memory is bad

http://www.memtest.org/

scottportraits

scottportraits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Nov 1, 2006

Ouch! Downloaded and unzipped MemTest86...then burned the 900kb's onto CD.
Can't seem to boot up from the disk. Should I start it in safe-mode (F8), or which ? I tried hitting F10 for boot options, and choose the disk, but I just get my active desktop.....

I thought it would just boot up from the CD if one was in the drawer that was bootable....

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you will have to change the boot otder in the bios...set it to CD first then HD....did you burn the ISO file...what did you burn it with...

Edited by happyrck, 02 November 2006 - 07:48 PM.

scottportraits

scottportraits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Nov 2 4.30pm est

Ouch! Still unable to boot from CD....
.....downloaded "MemTest86+1.65.iso(.zip)" from your site link, unzipped it and burned it to CD+R with Nero 7 Express as a data disk.

Tried to reset BIOS twice. First, hit F10 on boot-up and went to BOOT colomn, tried to set it to boot first from CD drive....but it refused and I kept getting my active desktop.

Tried again to boot up by hitting F2, and choosing to boot from CD drive, but again, no luck....keep getting active desktop.

Am afraid to tinker with this BIOS stuff because I might goof-up my system. Isn't there another way to test memory stick, like in safe-mode with some other app ??

Sorry, but this is a lesson about buying things like RAM sticks on EBay.

- scottportraits

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get burncdcc here ....its a small no frills ISO burner...burning a data disk will not work...

http://www.snapfiles...t/burncdcc.html

its free too..

Edited by happyrck, 02 November 2006 - 07:49 PM.

scottportraits

scottportraits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Nov 4 11pm est

Well, I used your burncdcc app to burn a CD disk from the memtest86 .iso file.....
.....and it worked !! I also burned some other diagnostic apps, like WinDiag and SpinRite 6.0.

So I ran MemTest86, without any configuration of my own, all night....and couldn't read the results....it was still running.....

So I tried again today, this time hitting 'c' to configure it, and told it to report individual errors.
Now I ran this thing for 11 + hours and it still wants to keep running....so I stopped, but could not secure a print-out of the report, so you'll just have to take my word for it.
It reported 29 errors in all, plus other incomprehensible data, durning certain of the ten tests. I don't know how to interpret the info, what it really means, but there were 29 errors reported.

So you are suggesting I remove the 1GB RAM stick I put in there from EBay, and just test the 512MB stick that came with the new machine now?

This is alot of work !!!

The WinDiag and SpinRite progs did NOT show any trouble with the RAM or memory tests.....

....we are assuming the error 0xc0000005 has to do with failing 'virtual memory', as the techie at eMule said....since the eMule prog needs much vitual memory at various times in it's operation.

Isn't there a better way to do all this?? This is so labor intensive....maybe there is a way to increase 'virtual memory' or improve overall performance of virtual memory, if that is what error 0xc0000005 really means.

Any way to troubleshoot virtual memory without me having to open up the PC and removing the 1GB suspect EBay stick ???

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
with the 29 errors ...its my guess the ebay ram is the source of your problem...memtesr86 will run until you tell it to stop by pressing the escape key...system builders actually run it for several days at a time...so I recommend you open the case and ...using static safe procedures ...remove the ebay ram and retest for at least 3 hours ...no errors in that time would suggest to me the ebay ram is the problem...its a PITA for sure but nobody said working on computers was easy...or quick...its the nature of the beast...

scottportraits

scottportraits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Okay, that's what I'll do....gee, I wonder if 512MB of RAM is enough for me, since I'm spoiled and like to do alot of stuff at once....

Is there a reliable mail-order place on the web that sells RAM sticks for a reasonable price ? Obviously, I've learned not to buy such things on EBay.

I guess I should check my PC specs and see if the slot can handle a 2 GB stick, along with the 512MB already in there. Also, one of the 2100/2700 high density ones. It's an E-Machine W3502 desktop, and I have two 80 GB hard drives inside (the second 'slave' one was put in after a few days of testing the new machine out).

Thank you again for the MemTest and boot CD burn app.

- scottportraits

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Okay, that's what I'll do....gee, I wonder if 512MB of RAM is enough for me, since I'm spoiled and like to do alot of stuff at once....
512 will run windows XP just fine

Is there a reliable mail-order place on the web that sells RAM sticks for a reasonable price ? Obviously, I've learned not to buy such things on EBay.

YEP...NEWEGG...ZIPZOOMFLY...TIGERDIRECT...CYBERGUYS...are the places I use regularly and recommend

Edited by happyrck, 13 November 2006 - 08:13 AM.

Advertisements

scottportraits

scottportraits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Nov 9, 2006

Took out 1GB stick and tested the 512MB one that came with the PC.....it was fine, no errors.

I dug up an old 256MB stick and added/tested it , and all is well. So I have 768MB of RAM, but with all the apps that I run which require alot of 'virtual memory'.....I wonder if there is a way to tweak the settings of my system and increase the allotment of virtual memory, without over-loading and burning up the hardware.

What if I get that Oxc0000005 error again ? (I have)....isn't that telling me I don't have enough RAM (virtual memory)?

- scottportraits

p.s. - any good free trojan scanning software....my Trojan Remover trial expires in a few days....

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
You can adjust the pagefile size in the system section of the control panel, wont complteley make up, for loss of ram, but a bigger pagefile is always helpful. I have mine set to max at all times.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
three quarter GIG of RAM is plenty...half Gig is sufficient ........

the swap or page file is a different beast...go here to read about it...

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

if when you decide to set it ...make the minimum and the maximum the same...it relieves windows from having to figure out if it needs to adjust the size...thus saving clock cycles...

set your swap size 1.5 Gig...thats 1500 MGbs ... or 2000 MGBs = 2 GIGs of swap

Edited by happyrck, 09 November 2006 - 06:47 PM.

scottportraits

scottportraits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Nov 10 8pm est

Okay....so I have 768 MB of error-free RAM installed. I just adjusted the page-file this way:

Control Panel > System Prop's > Advanced (tab) > Performance > Settings > Performance Options (Advanced tab) > Virtual Memory (change) > Custom Size > (Choose each drive C,D - 2 internal HD's) > set initial and max to 2000MB > hit Set.

Rebooted, but notice I still get these Oxc0000005 error messages.
Some of the apps may be junk from P2P, but others shouldn't be.....

Why I get alot of Oxc0000005 errors is the Q ...

Thank you for much help......

p.s. - Is there a freeware Trojan prog that is perpetual....not a 30 day trial....I have CWShredder....need more....

- scottportraits

Thanks again !!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets try this page file defrag for the Oxc0000005 error messages

http://www.snapfiles...pagedefrag.html

after you launch it put a tick in ..defrag at next boot...be careful as the default is uninstall pagefile defrag...and you would have to get it all over again..

then get diskeeper lite...install it and if the system has not been defraged it can take a hour or so to run..

http://www.majorgeek...ad.php?det=1207

then you can get these for the spyware problem...

lets pre clean the computer with these

spybot search and destroy...

http://www.download....4-10122137.html

then get ad-aware here...

http://www.download....4-10045910.html

then get CWShredder 2.19 .....here...

http://www.softpedia...nload-8114.html

get these tools and update them...run them in safe mode...if you don't know how then

go here for the lowdown...

http://reviews.cnet....essageID=274875

after updateing and starting in safe mode run the tools...have them delete anything

they find....

you can also do free online scans here

http://www.webroot.c...bc638b5528add3f

write down any names that spysweeper finds...

then this online scan

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/