Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor darkness

• Please log in to reply

orwell

orwell

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I recently bought a new monitor, a Compute Technology Link 945FX, and in just two months it's dead or dying. If I need to load a game or something that will change display in any way, it completely shuts off and turns back on. Sometimes it just shuts off, at which point I need to restart my computer and hope it loads. Lately is has begun display a dark object on a dark background as completely black, while the object that are not originally dark in such a way as that your guessing what shape it is. However, so far the only time I've come to notice this is with a video of some sort playing, just browsing the internet or starting up my computer doesn't cause this. It doesn't matter if the video is full screened or not.

I have tried playing with my graphic card settings, Nvidia something, I'm currently unsure where to check for the precise name/make of it. I haven't seen in it displayed in any place I would expect. I've tried using the optimization button on the monitor itself, along with changing individual settings and gett only a worse display.

The monitor is connected to my computer via a adapter since the cable from the monitor is, I think, VGA, while the monitor ports on my computer are for HD. I don't know if it matters, but I'm running xp sp2 with the latest updates, and the video players used are winamp, VCL, and wmp.

Also, is there a program I can run to get the most out of my desktop display? No matter how I adjust it, it seems like the side are bent or curved, and the left part of the screen seems to cut off a centimeter or two.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Send it back under your warranty, as it should have lasted a lot longer than two months.

orwell

orwell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I haven't gotten around to sending it back yet, but I noticed that I had left a video going in winamp, and opened one in VCL, and suddenly the video display got bright and normal looking. :whistling: Could it just be a driver issue or graphics card compatiblity problem? Maybe switch to a different video port?

orwell

orwell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Is this still considered a monitor only problem?

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Could be. Could be a driver conflict. What is the model and manufacturer of your computer? I'd like to pull some system specs.

orwell

orwell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Motherboard
-Asus P5WDH Deluxe Wireless Edition
CPU
-Intel Core 2 Duo X6800 (2.93 GHz, FSB1066, 4 MB L2)
Ram
-Corsair XMS DDR2-800 1024MBx2 EPP
Video
-Card Gigabyte GeForce 7950GX2 1GB
Monitor
-CTL 945FX - CRT 19 inch: Flat + Black

Is this what your after? Its not a set model like something from Dell, gateway, etc. I built it with the mind that I wouldn't need to update for quite a while, like with my old computer.

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Do you have another computer or video source you can test the monitor on? That will tell you right quick if it is the monitor or some setting on your computer.

orwell

orwell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Not readily available.... but I could probably find one.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Sorry for the long reply there. Testing the monitor on another system is the quickest and surest way, but you might also try:

-Grab Driver Cleaner PE from www.drivercleaner.net, and install it.
-Download the 91.47 drivers from www.nvidia.com
Assuming WinXP http://www.nvidia.co...p_2k_91.47.html
Also note that your motherboard probably isn't fully compatible with the card you're running, and that -may- cause some problems (we've seen good luck with the P5WD variations). See full list here: http://www.nvidia.co...x2_sbios/us.asp

-Go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs, select nvidia driver, uninstall it. Restart the computer.
-Press F8 before Windows loads, and instruct it to start in Safe Mode. Cancel any found new hardware wizards that appear, run Driver Cleaner, and clean for nvidia. Reboot, and let the computer start normally.
-Install the nvidia drivers you've downloaded above.

That pretty much rules out driver issues.

You may also want to make sure you have the latest chipset drivers here (assuming WinXP)
http://downloadfinde.....mp;submit=Go!

orwell

orwell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I greatly appreciate all the help, using that drivercleaner program seemed to have finally fixed the problem. Now to figure out how to make a mx5000 keyboard work.