Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

browser problems

• Please log in to reply

bigdan

bigdan

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

I've been having some crazy browser problems. I'm at work and there's some stringent security controls put in here. At first all there was here was IE. I was able to add Firefox by doing something with the proxy I think (ie copied a website to enter into proxy which I got from a co-worker). I also had Maxthon, which worked fine without having to play around with the proxy because apparently its built on top of IE. A week or so ago something happened, prolly with Maxthon, and since then I havent been able to run it. Something about do you wish to allow this process yada yada (I'm trying to bring up the error right now but its not coming). If I do bypass it the browser comes up for a few seconds and then disappears. I uninstalled/reinstalled, still happens. I made the mistake yesterday of upgrading to IE7, now even IE wont work for me, it gives the same errors Maxthon was giving. I'll post here again once this error comes up in order to give clarification but if anyone has any idea whats going on, do advise.

In the meantime can anyone advise any other browseR? I have firefox here, opera wont work.

Cheers
Dan

ps: i just minimized this window, a screen for maxthon was up asking something about donations. i bypassed that, browser came up for all of 2 seconds and quit on me. any fix?

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts

I'm at work and there's some stringent security controls put in here.

Then why are you subverting the system?

I was able to add Firefox by doing something with the proxy I think (ie copied a website to enter into proxy which I got from a co-worker).

Obviously not that stringent or you would not be able to install your own software. If this is a computer that your employer supplied then you have follow their guidelines for PC usage. It looks like you have at least a Power User account so you may be able to do a System Restore to when things worked. If not you may need to fess up with the IT department and see if they can get you back up to speed with all programs working.

bigdan

bigdan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
OK thats fine but im asking why IE would keep crashing? Since my previous post I'm not getting any errors. It used to be the first site I would load when I started IE was yahoo, and my browser always crashed. Now I tried other sites they're all running fine. When I opened yahoo, the tab it was in closed and everything else is still running. Does that make sense?