Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop wireless connection help

• Please log in to reply

chaos26

chaos26

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hi, i recently got my computer fixed by best buy, and they had to wipe out everything, and start from scratch...
when i got my computer back, i found that i was not able to connect to the internet. it many wireless connections around me, but when i connect to them, nothing happens and it says page cannot be displayed. Also after not using my router for a few months, i can no longer find it as a choice on the list of wireless connections. ive tried unplugging it, setting it up again using the cd, but still it does not get recognized by my laptop

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Are you able to scan for wireless networks out there? I know that you say they're out there, but are you able to see them on-screen?

chaos26

chaos26

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yes i can connect to them even, just when i open my internet browser, it says that the page cannot be displayed

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
That's strange... Let me research this and post back with some results...

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
After connecting to a wireless network, right click on the wireless network connection in your system tray and go to Status, then the Support tab, let us know what IP address it's showing?

Assuming it has a good IP, open IE, go to Tools -> Internet Options, Connections tab, make sure it's set for Never Dial a Connection. Click on LAN settings, make sure the only thing checked there (if anything at all) is Automatically Detect Settings.

If all that checks out, try to get to 216.239.39.99 in IE. If google loads, erase that and type google.com into the address bar. If the IP address loads, and google.com does not, you have a DNS resolution issue.