Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer locks up after being on to long

• Please log in to reply

tjuarez

tjuarez

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Computer locks up when someone has been logged on to long. It will also lock if you try to switch users. I am running Windows XP MCE on a Dell with a Pentium 4 3.2 GHz. This just started about a week ago. I have run an in-depth scan using my anti-virus program (NOD 32), have run Ewido anti-spy, SpyBot, and Ad-Aware. None of that has seemed to help. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
check under the power saving settings by going to the screensaver option menu. Make sure the hibernation and hard drive shut off times are not selected. could be simple software conflicts did you install anything new or made anychanges to the system prior to the problem?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I've seen this kind of thing happen with overheating. You might try running the fan diagnostics to rule it out.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first get everest home and run it...then click on the + sign on the computer section...then click on sensor...use printscreen or what ever capure progeam you use to get pic of that screen and post it back here...we can then make sure your temps and voltages are OK...

http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/