Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop keyboard

• Please log in to reply

gwk007

gwk007

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
i have a compaq presario laptop model 12xl-310 and the keyboard stopped working a while back. i have changed out the keyboard with a known working one with the same results. which are some keys work and some don't. i can plug in an external keyboard to this computer and everything works like normal with the external keyboard. do you guys have any ideas?
thanks, gary

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Have you installed the proper drivers for the devices?

gwk007

gwk007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
thanks Stormknight6,
sorry that it took so long to reply but i have been out of town. yeah i tried that to no avail. i wonder if it might be my motherboard. is there a way to check that with some diagnostic program? it's just annoying to use an external keyboard on a laptop. kind of defeats the purpose of a laptop right! it is strange how that some of the keys work and some don't. and most of the keys that don't work are on the right side. well anyway thanks for your help.
gary

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, I don't know of any tests myself for that... Is it still under technical support warranty coverage?

gwk007

gwk007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
unfortunately not. it is an older laptop and it's like an old pair of shoes. i was just wondering if there might be a fix that some of the geeks on here would know about. but thanks anyway.