Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

display problems

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hello,

I have a problem with my WIN98. I didn't notice the first problem. I thought I'd started it but then the screen was black. I restarted and saw something about Safe Mode. It also went to a smaller - 640X480 - display size. I can not get to the bottom OK button to go to a higher resolution. I can only move with cursor at top bar. When I drag it to the top of the screen I can not see the bottom of that window.

The display problem is what I need to solve first.

bamakodaker

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Wait, so you are in Safe Mode at the moment?

If you are in safe mode, You can NOT change your resolution form there on because SAFE MODE is used for fixing ,scanning for malware , changing settings, etc. Safe mode has very limited features and very limited drivers.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Well, somewhere in there I saw Safe Mode. It rebooted and I may not be in Safe Mode now. I just have the problem with the display resolution. Right now I don't see anything that says Safe Mode.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
It appears it may not be in Safe Mode now. For some reason there may have been a problem at startup. After several restarts the problem may have cleared EXCEPT for the display resolution problem. The computer seems to be working fine so maybe my ONLY problem is now the display problem. I appreciate any suggestions.
bamakodaker

tanda

tanda

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi, I'm no expert, But all you need to do is change the display to a higher resolution, then if you can't reach the "ok" button, just press "Enter".

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
DUHHHH OOOOOOOOOO
I can NOT figure out whey I couldn't go past that point of I HAVE GOT to click that OK button!
I'll admit it. I did as suggested. When computer asked to restart I agreed. It took a while but finally rebooted - in Safe Mode! It said something about I might need to reset Network or Hardware settings. I have no knowledge of what might need to be reset.

I rebooted again - and it came back to normal, NOT Safe Mode!

Is there anything I should check? Something I could correct before it becomes a REAL problem?

bamakodaker

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Sorry for the delay, its nearly impossible for me to reply to peoples posts and I forget about them. i need to be more organized.

OK , check to see if you have your video card drivers installed.

If you dont know how to get there, please post back, I'll be as detailed as possible as I upgraded my older machine to Win2k.

-yield22

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Well,
Right now it appears OK. Under Display adapter - Rage LT Pro AGP 2X
Under Sound, video and game controller - I have ES1869 Control Interface as the only thing I think might apply.

If I'm not providing what is needed then please give me directions.

Much thanks,
bamakodaker