Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Self-retsarting computer after hardware installation

• Please log in to reply

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Anyway, I recently installed a Linksys WMP11 PCI card on my HP Pavilion 7920. It seems to be able to connect to my wireless network perfectly. However, since then, my computer has been shutting down and restarting by itself, and when I say shut down, I mean it skips the entire process and turns off. This happens every few minutes. When it restarts, I get a system error message. On it, it has the error signature: BCCode : d1 BCP1 : 00000004 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : F90C7F6D OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0 Product : 768_1

I actually think i copied and pasted that from another forum. Hopefully you guys can be more helpful. Thank you.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Anyway, I recently installed a Linksys WMP11 PCI card on my HP Pavilion 7920. It seems to be able to connect to my wireless network perfectly. However, since then, my computer has been shutting down and restarting by itself, and when I say shut down, I mean it skips the entire process and turns off. This happens every few minutes. When it restarts, I get a system error message. On it, it has the error signature: BCCode : d1 BCP1 : 00000004 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : F90C7F6D OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0 Product : 768_1

I actually think i copied and pasted that from another forum. Hopefully you guys can be more helpful. Thank you.

sounds like a hardware driver issue at first.

Have you tried getting newer drivers for the Linksys device?

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I don't think that they have newer drivers on the linksys website. I downloaded their latest driver and had XP update the driver to that folder, but it said I already had the latest one.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try removing the card to see if the problem goes away...then we will know for sure if its the card causing the problem...be static safe

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Yeah, when I remove the card, it is completely normal. Im pretty sure its the card's fault.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if the card is new you can contact whoever you bought the card from and replace /return it...contact their support section ( Linksys )

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You don't by chance happen to have a PCI modem in one of the PCI slots in the computer do you? If you do, remove the pci modem card. Boot up the computer and then shut it down. Then put the wireless card in the same slot the modem came out of and start up the computer. See if the issue still remains.

Fenor

*EDIT* -- You could also try putting the wireless card in a different PCI slot and see if that makes a difference. Of course only try this if the above doesn't solve the problem.

Edited by Fenor, 31 October 2006 - 07:43 PM.

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Yeah, I do have a PCI modem. I just took it away and installed the wireless card in the same spot but the same thing happens. The same thing happens to all the PCI slots. I'm not gonna bother calling up the manufacturer cause its really old anyway and I got it from a friend. But the fact is that it was completely new and sealed up still and I figured to give it a shot and install it on my non-internet computer.