Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help computer cannot start up

• Please log in to reply

jones24

jones24

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Here is the error message.

Disk boot failure, Insert system disk and press enter.

I insert my windows xp cd which i assume that is the system disk and still the same error msg pops up. Please help.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
sorry, but that is the standard 'your harddrive has died' message
- take out the harddrive and see if it will work in either an external harddrive caddie or as a slave in another computer

jones24

jones24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Crap, so is there any way to rescue the data inside? Btw this is odd as the harddrive is rather new and so is the pc.

Btw do you have any idea why the harddrive fails since i have pcs at home that still function at 5 years old. Could it be excessive gaming? Please give some reasons. Btw this pc is not covered up which means everything inside is exposed. The reason is to fix it or put in new hardware without having to unscrew the cover.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Jones24
Have you played with any programs and formatted the hard drive by any chance?
If you put the xp cd and get the same message it means you are not set to boot from the cd.
Do you know how to check/ change this?
When the computer starts it will have on the screen to enter setup press.
The option could be DEL or F2 or another option you need to read the screen.
When you do this you will enter where the base settings are for the computer. The setting you need is one that says 1st boot order You have to change this to CD as 1st boot order. Then the cd will boot.
Do you know if your hard drive is formatted as NTFS or FAT ?
You can also download a boot disk from bootdisc.com if you have a floppy drive.

Edited by peterm, 03 November 2006 - 02:19 AM.