Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet suddenly not working

• Please log in to reply

leeman

leeman

• Pip
  • 7 posts
So a funny thing happened the other day. I went out for some food with my gal and when I came back my internet had stopped working. It was running fine before I went out too.
I live with other people and this one guy has the internet box in his office... we dont get along so im not sure if he did anything to it. Ive checked the cord and its plugged into the router and ive shut off the internet box and the router to reset the IP allowances but its still not working.
When i go into network connections in the control panel and dbl click the LAN connection it says thats its sending and receiving packets.. ok now its stopped at 156 sent and 24 received in around 15 min
But it still says that its connected.

I dont know what info you guys need but I run ZoneAlarm and the router is a wireless linksys SRX200
I have windows XP and its fully updated. I run spyware/virus sweeps from zonealarm fairly often and i also run sweeps on adadware.

So could someone please help with this prob?

Could it be my housemate that has screwed up my internet?
Oh and if my cord goes from the main router to another router and then to my computer will that slow down the connection? (its not set up like this right now)

Im a student in university and I desperatly need the internet for research and whatnot.

Thanks alot
-Lee

Ive tried accessing the internet through MSN, internet explorer, and the update service for adaware.
I also pinged an IP in the command prompt (4.2.2.1) and it said it was 100% loss or something like that

thanks again

Advertisements

Donarudo

Donarudo

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Similar thing happened to me suddenly after regular reboot. Still trying to figure out the problem. You can try these... access you services (run>services.msc) and look for network connections and make sure its 'started'. You can also try turning off your modem for a few mins and turning it back on. Try changing port for that your ethernet cable is plugged into the router. Try resetting your router. Or Run>IPCONFIG and see if your connection works. I've tried those things and still nothing. Hopefully you're more lucky than me.

leeman

leeman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thnx for the response.
Still nothing for me either... i have no idea whats up.
-Lee

EDIT
Seems that its working now... hmm... my housemate was storming around thismoring so maybe he did something. haha
G luck with your problem.

I might be back if it goes out again.

-Lee

Edited by leeman, 31 October 2006 - 10:25 AM.

Donarudo

Donarudo

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Yeah, I got mine to work too. My Telephony modem was just being a b**** and needed a power cycle reboot. Glad to hear you got your problem resolved.