Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont boot up

• Please log in to reply

zoltain

zoltain

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
When i start my computer after about 2 min of black i get a message saying the following file is corrupt or missing: \windows\system32\config\system

I have a laptop, windows xp sp2

it also says a possible solution is to put the origional setup cd in and hit "r" at the first screen. I have a compac windows sp1 recovery cd but "r" doesnt do anything. I'm trying to do this without wiping my harddrive clean if possible. THnak so much in advance :-D.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello zoltain...

It's not exactly the first screen you see...it should look something like the image below.
welcometosetup.gif
Does you machine have a floppy drive?

wannabe1

zoltain

zoltain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I must not have the correct cd because i never see that screen. The cd i have says "Compaq Quickrestore System Recovery CD Microsoft Windows XP Home SP1 disc 1 of 4 (i have all 4 discs)" When i load this cd it says a big warning that it will delete all myu data if i continue. I dont htink i have the origional setup cd. No my computer doesnt have a floppy disc drive.

Thnx for replying so quickly :-D

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nope...you're cd is not the one we want to use. Do you know someone with a Windows XP cd you can borrow long enough to use Recovery Console to fix your machine?

zoltain

zoltain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Um. Ill ask around today. dont close the thread though because i have no idea if i can find someone. Ill post again tonight with the answer. Thnx.

zoltain

zoltain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
i "think" i can get one tomarrow but im not sure. If it doesnt work out i wont be able to get one (most of my friends use mac). What are my other options?

zoltain

zoltain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Well i got the correct cd and hit 'r' for repair at that blue screen. It goes through its proccess and then a black screen comes up saying type "EXIT" to restart the computer and load the repair concole. When i do this it just boot from cd again back to the same blue screen. Also when i try starting my computer normally after this it doesnt work. Thnx so much for taking the time to help me out :-D.

zoltain

zoltain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
ok i've done alot of research online and now understand the proccess alot better but am still haveing problems. When i boot off the windows xp cd and go into "Microsoft Windows XP<TM> Recovery Console" i am not given the selection part of this message:

Microsoft Windows® Recovery Console

The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows Installation would you like to log on to
(To cancel, press ENTER)?

After "Type EXIT to quit... the computer" it just gives me "C:\>" for the command prompt. Everything i've read requires me to have that turn to C:\WINDOWS.

Other sources say i should:

"If you can boot and the file system isnt corrupt you just let it keep booting. It makes you hit enter or something saying you want to install, then it asks if you want to repair using recovery console and for now say "n" a few minutes later it looks for your old installs and if the disk file system is OK it should show you the disk and directory on whcih XP is installed and ask if you want to repair the existing installation and at that point I think it makes you even hit "R" for repair.

If it ever asks you to format or create a partition DON'T DO IT ! It shouldn't ask you on a repair install. So if you see that in any way we have deeper problems. BAIL OUT. Do not proceed.

As long as you do a repair install it keeps all your files and programs etc... but its got to be a repair not a fresh install. And its the second prompt about repairing NOT the first one asking if you want to use recovery console. Its only a total of like three mouse clicks and hitting "R" to get the repair going!"

I tried this but it doesnt give me a second prompt to hit "r" again. Just asks me about creating or deleting a partition.

I have no idea why it doesnt work. Any help would be most greatly appreciated.
Here are the links to where i got most of this info:
http://www.short-med...ead.php?t=24057
http://www.kellys-ko...om/xp_sys32.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

This is another guide to the same problem that i havent tried, but i think i will have the same problem as the first solution i was talking about... ie not getting the C:windows prompt but i could be wrong.
http://support.micro...kb;EN-US;307545

(In case this has any relevence my comp is a sony laptop with windows xp home edition sp2.)

Thnx again for taking the time to help me :-D!

Edited by zoltain, 02 November 2006 - 06:39 PM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
zoltain: I apologize if my note is non-productive.

I bought a Compaq Laptop with the default proprietary discs...went through the same problem. Got on the phone and talked to their techie who took me through a recovery...twice...BUT IT DID NOT WORK...so they sent me a new set of recovery discs...BUT THEY DID NOT WORK...

I dumped the pre-installed Compaq version of XP-SP1, cleaned the hard drive, and reloaded the XP-SP1 version that I use on my main computer from its discs.

ALL NOW WORKS.

I trashed the Compaq discs.

zoltain

zoltain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
b1caez01, did that wipe clean all ur data. (im trying to avoid that if at all possible).

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you see this:

Microsoft Windows® Recovery Console

The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

1: C:\WINDOWS

Type 1 and press "Enter"...this should take you to a command prompt. At the prompt, type chkdsk /r (note the space) and press "Enter".

If this starts the check, it will be a lengthy one...be patient.

You may have a corrupt boot.ini file. Once the chkdsk completes we'll look at that if you can boot to Windows.

zoltain

zoltain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I dont see the "1: C:\WINDOWS" part of the message. When i type 1 and enter it just says it is an unrecognized command

zoltain

zoltain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I dont see the "1: C:\WINDOWS" part of the message. When i type 1 and enter it just says it is an unrecognized command.

Also i ran "chkdsk /p" (when the prompt was C:\>) and at the 50% mark it stoped and i recieved this message: "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."

Ill try the chkdsk /r now.

Edited by zoltain, 02 November 2006 - 08:01 PM.

zoltain

zoltain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
ok did the Chkdsk /r and the same result

"50 % completed.
The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."

(keep in mind though the prompt is still C:\>)

THnx again for helpin

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's starting to sound like the hard drive is failing.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode options and selecting the "Last known good configuration" option?