Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A working new computer stopped working in a day

• Please log in to reply

Bushidob

Bushidob

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have just built my new computer. The original mobo did not work, so I had RMAed and bought anew one. After plugging in everything, things looked great..at least yesterday. After coming back from work, my computer suddenly froze while installing a software. Since then, my computer does not boot. What could be wrong?

Here's what I have:
Foxconn Motherboard 939 pin
AMD Athon 64 X2 4400+
1GB 333 Mhz DDR RAM PC 2700 x 2
CD-ROM & DV/RW ROM
HardDrive

Somoene help.. it doesn't even go to BIOS anymore..is my CPU messed up all of a sudden?? My voltage is at 115..and did not change..my Fan works fine...I don't know what could be wrong.

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hello, lemme give it a shot, I suck at building computers.

When you turn it on, can you hear your fans,hd light, etc?

Bushidob

Bushidob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, it sounds like the computer starts moving..but the monitor doesn't respond and nothing turns on. But the fan moves..and I hear other noises...not sure what that means.. I don't know how my mobo/CPU would just fry while using the computer.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
It seems like your video card has failed. Try another one to see if you can boot up.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Before going out and buying a new video card, try this:

Pull the card from your system, and try to start up. You should get an error beep from the BIOS (normally one long beep, followed by three short, may vary by BIOS manufacturer). If you get that beep, than your video card was causing a short, or the slot is shot. If you don't, there is some other component causing the issue.

Next step would be to pull the IDE chains, see if you get an error. Then RAM, see if you get an error, etc.

On a related note, how many copper risers are you using between the motherboard and the case?

Bushidob

Bushidob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The video card I use is the one that is already part of the mobo. I do not have any PCI video card attached. I also get no beeps when I turn on the mobo.

I have 4 copper risers between the mobo and the case.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
I normally don't use less than 6 risers, but technically, 4 should be ok to ground it.
Since you don't have any extraenous video cards, there's something else that is stopping your computer from starting properly. Go ahead and try the second step in my recommendation, see if there's anything that will throw an error beep at you.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

I normally don't use less than 6 risers, but technically, 4 should be ok to ground it.
Since you don't have any extraenous video cards, there's something else that is stopping your computer from starting properly. Go ahead and try the second step in my recommendation, see if there's anything that will throw an error beep at you.

not neccesarily it could still be the video....

Bushibob if you don't have another video card laying around I'd go ahead and try Kurenai's suggestions but don't completely rule out the video... if nothing suggested works it may be worth either getting a video card to try or to take it some place who can test that for you... though if you pull the ram and still get no beeps you may be looking at a bad motherboard, cpu or power supply.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
first of all what you should do is remove all of the componenets from the inside of the case:
then place you motherboard on a peice of cardboard with only
1)1 stick of RAM in the first slot
2) Power supply including the 4 pin connector
3) video card
4) 1 hard drive
5) 1 DVD/CD drive

then see if it boots

if not remove the stick of RAM and replace it with the other stick
see if it boots
if not take out all of the RAM and then boot themachine and see what types of beep codes you get if you get beep codes then the RAM is bad and will need replacing

if not your motherboard could be bad and may have shorted out inside the case

you might wnat to see if you can test the power supply in another system to see if that is the problem

if you can not see anything on the screen not even the BIOS then i would say that your motherboard has been damaged in some way and will need replacing

when you were buildiung the system did you take anti-static precautions?

hope this helps a little

troppo

Edited by troppo, 02 November 2006 - 09:01 PM.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Yeah, it could be video, but he should at least get a POST beep (or beep error). Essentially, if you can pull everything but the processor from the system, and not get a beep error, and it's not grounding out, and you rule out the PSU...it's new motherboard time.