Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Office 97 error HELP!

• Please log in to reply

mickol

mickol

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi i am trying to install Microsoft Office 97 on Windows 98. It goes as far as letting me type in the CD Key, but when this happens and it searches for "installed components" an error message comes up, which says:
"Object 3311: Your setup files may be damaged. Try restarting the setup program from where you originally ran it."
What does this mean? I've restarted many times, and tried to reinstall again but i keep getting the same message. PLEASE HELP! I need Office 97 for University. Thanks.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I may be wrong, but it may be looking for files in the Windows\Options\Cab or \Install folder. Possibly missing or corrupted files that should be there before it can start installing Office 97.

I never had any problems when I was using Win 98 and had to install Office 97, but it has been a long time ago and my memory may be faulty. Everything always went smoothly after entering the key code.

Try re-installing Win 98 and make sure you have all your updates installed, then re-try installing Office 98.

There may be a better way, but noticed no one has answered you since yesterday. There may be someone come along that has a solution, but if you are in a hurry, this is something to do that's positive.

Ron