Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm paranoid about security software

• Please log in to reply

EGD Eric

EGD Eric

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I may be wrong (I hope I am), but I see so many "free trial" stuff for spyware/malware removal that I wonder: How do I know that the program itself won't put malware on my computer? Maybe the program waits until the 30 day free trial is over, leaves some malware on your computer; which encourages you to buy the full version, and bam! the hostile software is gone. (Or they might propagate it in other ways not even connected to the software itself; in which case, it'd be impossible to catch them in the act). why wouldn't they do this? spyware removal is an industry. Why wouldn't the people who are making anti-spyware programs propagate spyware/worms/viruses themselves? Its not in their best interest for the internet to be a safe place for a computer - they'd be out of a job if it were.

Can someone tell me that I'm worrying for nothing? Has any software company ever been busted for dishonest practices like this? This thought has made me uneasy about installing any free spyware-removal tools.

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Check this out, it will set your mind at ease as to which security software to trust:

http://www.spywarewa...nti-spyware.htm

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Thanks to kniht for the site http://www.spywarewa...nti-spyware.htm

This has to be one of the best out there...a must read for everyone...

Consider the following:

1. your fears are justified
2. but,
3. large companies that produce software cannot afford to annoy their customer base too much...otherwise their flaws would spread like wildfire over the net...e.g. NORTON does not see the light of day on my computer, because of what I consider is their poor service
4. smaller mfgs that produce less known software titles, need to be approached with caution...not suspicion...they need to make a buck too, and can't afford to upset potential buyers
5. so download only from what YOU consider as a reputable source...for the most part they have done the donkey work of checking out the files that are being downloaded from their site...otherwise they'd be in the tank with their advertisers...what goes around, comes around...
6. start with what MS has to offer, and then go to legitiamte sites such as geekstogo, and get advice as to which progs are being recommended as "safe" and "useful" and "free" of reasonably priced to suit your needs.

etc.

Buy the best you can afford, or find the best you can get free, backed up with at least one of the software progs offered by the leading mfgs on the net...in all areas of interest...

Edited by b1caez01, 04 November 2006 - 03:45 AM.

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

4. smaller mfgs that produce less known software titles, need to be approached with caution...not suspicion...they need to make a buck too, and can't afford to upset potential buyers

Yeah, a few years ago I downloaded a free trial of NoAdware. System was clean of any adware etc. until the first update of the product. Low and behold, NoAdware detected all kinds of nasties on my PC. The trial version of NoAdware did not have the capabilities to clean my system only the paid version could. Not knowing better, and in a panic, I ordered the paid version. After scanning with the paid version all nasties previously detected by the free version of NoAdware were mysteriously gone! Needless to say NoAdware is no longer on my PC!

Wish I had been directed to the url I posted in my previous post before trying NoAdware. Since then, I have read that NoAdware is trying to clean up it's act. Oh well, live and learn.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Yup!

DITTO!

Fortunately, a long time ago, I discovered some pretty good underground sites that kept me abreast of what was what on the dark side. I have read voraciously about every conceivable malware, etc., and have made sure that I have been forewarned and forearmed, as they say. One of the best is ___.com, out of Britain. I do not recommend this site for everyone [therefore it has not been identified], nor for anything other than its security articles and security downloads. They had shaddy beginnngs, and have "cleaned up their act" as some would say, as well. Generally, if you go to google and scan for security sites you can weed through them to find some very good ones. Like software, there are some that are just "fronts" to devour you, so you must be armed to the hilt to wander among the spiders and cockroaches.

Edited by b1caez01, 04 November 2006 - 02:53 PM.