Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CoD2 FPS

• Please log in to reply

Morpheus

Morpheus

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
Hey, does anyonehave a custom config for CoD2 that they recommend to get better fps?

here is my config but i still get lag goin through smoke
(which is strange with my specs:
1 gig RAM
ATI Radeon x700 Pro
AMD Athlon 3700+)

anyways heres my config:

bind / cg_drawfps "0"
bind , cg_drawfps "1"
seta r_rendererPreference "dx7"
seta cl_maxpackets "62.5"
seta cg_blood "0"
seta cg_brass "0"
seta ai_corpseCount "5"
seta r_aaAlpha "off"
seta r_aaSamples "1"
seta r_anisotropy "2"
seta r_lodBias "0"
seta r_lodScale "1"
seta r_forceLod "4"
seta r_mode "1024x768"
seta r_swapInterval "0"
seta r_textureMode "bilinear"
seta r_zFeather "0"
seta rate "25000"
seta r_drawSun "0"
seta r_glow "0"
seta r_multigpu "1"
seta cg_marks "1"
seta cg_markslimit "256"
seta r_aaAlpha "1"
seta r_aaSamples "2"
seta r_anisotropy "2"
seta r_autopriority "1"
seta r_gpuSync "0"
seta sys_SSE "1"
seta sv_framerate_smoothing "1"
seta snaps "30"
seta r_fullscreen "1"
seta cg_drawLagometer "1"
seta cg_noTaunt "0"
seta com_hunkmegs "512"
seta g_antilag "1"
seta com_maxfps "125"
seta r_skincache "1"
seta r_applypicmip

Advertisements

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hey

I dont have COD2 but...

Have you tryed asking people on "XFire"

Hope I helped

Morpheus

Morpheus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Yes actually i have and a lot of people have the same problem with FPS in Call of Duty, its just something about thei engine... there are people with very high end graaphics cards, plenty of RAM and still have trouble with FPS in CoD

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
One way of increasing the FPS is to reduce the graphics settings.

Morpheus

Morpheus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Yes that is what i have done as you can see in my config tha rendering preference is DX7 even though my Graphics card is very capable of dx9.. i do this to increase FPS which helps a lot altuough i still lag in tha smoke.

jimfred

jimfred

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
you need more ram you need at least 2gigs to play that game . my sons pc only had 1 gig and his games were stuttering installed another gig made a huge difference.. hope this helps

Morpheus

Morpheus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
thanks a lot.. i will try that considering i only have 1 gig right now

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I found that smoke always caused a little lag, however it was never enough to be much of a problem and happened irespective of my settings. So i just stuck them at what looked and played fine without smoke and lived with it, you get used to it and the thing about being in smoke is you cant do much but go through it or around it so lag isnt all that much an issue.

jimfred

jimfred

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
i play battlefield 2 , fear and call of duty & united offensive and my pc doesnt lag at all on any of these games in smoke or whatever and all my settings are on high and i dont have a real high end card but they all play great . do anyof yall play fear online .team death match and death match kick butt super fast pace and awsome detail i'm totaly hooked on this game. going to get extraction point for sure ive heard its awsome . online gaming rocks!!!!

XPS 600
WDC WD2500JS-75NCB2 (232 GB)
Intel Pentium D 940, 3200 MHZ (16 x 200)
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce4
3.19ghz, 2gb ram
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (256 MB)
Creative Audigy 2 ZS
DELL E193FP

Edited by jimfred, 09 November 2006 - 12:29 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts

2gb ram

is the most likely reason for that.

Advertisements

Benchwarmer969

Benchwarmer969

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
One thing I did was reduce my ram. I have two 256's (I was sure they were matching 512's, but System says otherwise) and my FPS was actually increased. Also, using DX7 helps. And doing /com_maxfps 1000 helps too :whistling:.

Morpheus

Morpheus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
/com_maxfps 1000 IS NOT a help! unless your computer is constantly getting 1000 fps then you should never do this.

1. if your computer cannot always stay at 1000 fps, then you will get very big lag spikes and the ameplay will probably overall decrease.
You should set your maxfps to 125, because this is an fps that most computer running cod2 should be able to get, and also helps get better performance out of your computer.

2. if your like me and play CAL, then 1000 fps is illegal.. in CAL and other cod2 leagues the max fps is 350

Morpheus

Morpheus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Also, setting your maxfps to 125 and getting a constant 125 will make you jump farther in cod

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Also, setting your maxfps to 125 and getting a constant 125 will make you jump farther in cod

Custom editing the com_max fps and what not is not going to help the game graphically and smoothly.. All your doing it just making it worse because the video card is already struggling. My advise would be to get a faster video card to start with. An x700pro is plenty enough to play the game but that video card struggles on the newer games like cod2, bf2 and such.. The only thing to do is lower the main graphics settings to a step even lower. Turn off any anti-aliasing or turn it down.

If you get a 6800xt,6800gt,6800gs series or above video card and maybe up your ram just alittle bit more you will experience smooth as glass gaming.

Im not saying to get a 6800series card because there is better and faster out now for the money but you get my drift.

Morpheus

Morpheus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
LOL

obviously if we could all get cards like that there wouldnt be a thread running called this..

and making a config does help a LOT... before i had a config i was getting 35-40 fps on cod2.. NOT GOOD!

now that i have a config (which when you make one, yo design to fit your graphics cards needs) i get 125 smoothly except in smoke...

So yes, configs do help.. and if you dont belive me then go ask all of the CEVO or CAL players in cod2! :-P