Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Poor Boot Performance

• Please log in to reply

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts

so at half speed are your saying its about 50% if thats the case its still high

im only at 4% to7%

when did you noticed the long bootime imean did you do any neccessary changes that might of cause the long boot up

Sorry, I believe you misunderstood me. My processor runs at 800 Mhz (half of 1.6 Ghz) most of the time. This causes the CPU usage to be high (15-20% when idle). However, my processor runs at full speed (all of its 1.6 GHz) when booting.

The long boot time has increased very gradually with time.

Edited by Smokey, 02 November 2006 - 09:46 PM.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
have you ever done any of the following

clean your prefetch folder GO START...CLICK RUN...TYPE IN... prefetch ...CLICK OK..EDIT..SELECT ALL ..ON ANY BLUE FILE RIGHT CLICK THEN DELETE.............go to your tools menu at the top of your page select internet options delete cookies... delete files including offline put check mark click ok then close by clicking apply then ok.....go start..... all programs....accesseries...system tools....disk defragmenter.....just defragment ......

when your done that do this

go start right on my computer and open it .....on c drive right click and click on properties select tools then click on check now make sure both boxes are checked then click start

if a black pop appears dont be alarmed you should see a flashing white bar ..type the letter y for yes hit enter reboot

let this proccess go through 5 stages

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
CCleaner cleans out my prefetch folder everytime I run it. It does it along with about every other cleaning method you could think of, great program. One blue file was found in the prefetch folder, which is the required "layout" configuration file. Windows will "error-check" on next reboot. So I'll be back in a few minutes. Thanks again for the help rushin!

Edited by Smokey, 02 November 2006 - 09:55 PM.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
I finished error-checking my hard drive. Windows said the volume is clean. Here is the latest bootvis results for you to savor (horizontal units in seconds):

Posted Image

As you can see. Windows calms down from the bootup at around 150 seconds. 2½ minutes is unbelievable. GTG Staff, where are you?

Edited by Smokey, 03 November 2006 - 12:09 AM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
well a good internal cleaning of your computer with a can of compressed air should help

if that dont then run another repair withyour xp cd

or add more ram

go start..run...msconfig....under start-up tab uncheck least important start-up

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Do you mean repairing my XP install? If that doesn't work, I'll do a reformat. That'll fix the problem. Since I have backups, I have nothing to worry about. I don't think five startup items could bog down a 1 gig system when it's booting. I'll definitely clean the internals out. I have a notion that the 4200 RPM hard drive might something to do with it. Thank you so much for your help rushin.

Edited by Smokey, 03 November 2006 - 12:16 AM.

Malikorx

Malikorx

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Try a program called TuneXP. Under one of the menus is an option labeled Ultra Fast Booting. Run that to speed up your boot time.