Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to find page - retry finds it


  • Please log in to reply

#1
Davrobin

Davrobin

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I've recently changed ISP to talktalk (UK low cost ISP, massively oversubscribed!... ok so this could be the problem!). I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.7. Internet connection is via a Netgear router onto ADSL.
<Apologies for not having detailed versions of stuff.... I'm writing this up from work, whereas the problem is at home!>
:blink:
Many times, when I go to a web page, I get the "page not found... retry" screen. Click the "retry" button and the page is found right away.

My first thought was that talktalk's DNS is overloaded, so configured my router to use a totally different primary DNS (found one at something like 4.4.1.1 ). SEcondary DNS is left at talktalk's second DNS.

I still get the problem.

Last night also, my outlook e-mail client couldn't connect to the e-mail server for several hours (connection problem) though I was able to ping the mail server.... so perhaps this is a red-herring.

Clearly something is timing out. I guess I must check if the same problem occurs in IE. <writing this post is making me think a bit more closely about the problem and how to diagnose it!>
:whistling:
I'll get back with more details.... but in the meantime does anyone have any suggestions? <sadly, switch to a better ISP is out of the question as I have an 18 month contract!>

Dave R.
  • 0

Advertisements


#2
Neil Jones

Neil Jones

    Member 5k

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I have the same issue and I'm not on TalkTalk, in fact this behaviour still occurs in Firefox 2. I believe its a conflict with some third-party firewalls. Therefore turn them off - for example Norton, Panda, McAfee, Zonealarm, etc - and see how things go from there for a couple of days.
  • 0

#3
Davrobin

Davrobin

    Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hmmm interesting. I've just had the same symptom again with Internet Explorer (so I guess that rules out Firefox!). I do have Zone Alarm running... but I am loathe to turn it off...... it just seems funny that the problem has onlly just started to happen.

I guess we'll have to continue watching this space! :whistling:

Thanks for the info though, Neil.... good to know I'm not alone!

Dave R
  • 0

#4
Johanna

Johanna

    The Leather Lady

  • Moderator
  • 3,038 posts
Most firewalls can be configured to allow legit programs (like browsers) to pass through, and shutting off the firewall for any longer than a minute is not recommended, and should only be done in extreme diagnostic situations. If you must do this, please make sure your built in XP firewall is enabled. (Many third party firewalls will disable XP's native firewall) Have you tried emptying your temp files? The fact that it is catching on the refresh tells me the problem is on your end, not the ISP's. Obviously you have a valid internet connection. Do you run any kind of ad blocking software? Yeah, I'm fishing, but that's how we troubleshoot. Start with the simple first, and work our way up. Post back when you have time, and let us know if the problem is resolved or still happening. There are a few more things we can try w/o disabling the firewall.
Johanna
  • 0

#5
Davrobin

Davrobin

    Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Well, I've done some more digging.... the problem occurs with IE as well as firefox. I have a netgear DG834G router running V3.01.25 firmware. When I went to the router's diagnostics, I found that it was having trouble resolving addresses from DNS. Doing some googling reveals that my ISP (Talktalk) is having trouble with Netgear routers.... for anyone from the UK who is having hassle with talktalk, check out the talktalkhell web site... http://talktalkhell.wordpress.com/ This is where a load of (somewhat disgruntled) talktalk users swap war stories! :help:

For anyone reading this post from outside the UK, talktalk are a phone provider who advertised free broadband to subscribers of their phone system.... needless to say they were swamped with customers, and are having HUGE problems getting their network capacitY (And more importantly their call centre capacity) up to scratch to meet the demand. :blink:

I've now reset both DNS entries on the router to some large public uk-based DNS (apparently talktalk have been getting problems with their DNS) (192.164.6.112 & 194.74.65.68)
I've also tweaked the MTU setting on the router down to 1400.
This may have helped a little... but the system still sometimes has problems resolving web sites.

Just about to upgrade to Firefox 2 (though I don't see how this will help this problem... I just want to keep my browser up to date!)

Thanks for the advice

Dave R

:whistling:
  • 0






Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP