Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm ISO challenged

• Please log in to reply

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
First off, I admit to being ISO challenged. I just can't seem to get the hang of it.

I have downloaded about 3-4, so-called, fool-proof programs, like Bart's PE, in ISO format, and am stumped as to where to go from there, to get them onto a disk and then get them to work.

1. have a few different ISO readers/managers
2. have tried opening and burning the ISO files to a disk, using Windows default burn-ware for my DVD drive...
3. have tried leaving it as is, and burning it to a disk [as is often told]
4. each time nothing works from the boot as advertised
5. I have read and re-read various site's instructions...nada!

So, what am I doing wrong?

Could I please have a fools list of how to steps...like BURNING BOOTABLE ISO DISKS FOR DUMMIES :whistling:

Edited by b1caez01, 02 November 2006 - 07:56 PM.

Advertisements

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
what exactly do you want to do? Make an ISO or read one?

To burn/rip an ISO, I would recommend Alcohol 120% http://www.alcohol-soft.com/

It's one of the most reliable programs out there.

To read an ISO, I would recommend Daemon Tools: http://www.daemon-to...cc/download.php

it's adware free. just make sure you uncheck the option in the install to include the search bar.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Sorry, I thought that I made it clear as to my intentions. I can do all of that...that is not what I need.

What do I do with the ISO? ...once I have it...

1. do I download the ISO strait from the source, and then...
2. do I burn the ISO strait to the disk, or ...
3. do I open it up and burn the contents strait to the disk

I've tried both ways, and neither works for me...so obviously I am not doing something right.

My burner is operating fine. And I have not had any problems with it. I do a lot of burning.

Can you go through the steps with ERD or KNOPPIX for example. I've got the programs and a few others, as I stated. I have opened them all to study the contents, and as I said, I have burned each to disks, but I have been unsuccessful in testing each...that is what I do as a hobby, and for others...test programs!

Edited by b1caez01, 03 November 2006 - 12:43 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use this for Bart's PE

This page will help you create your very first BartPE CD. It assumes that you are using Windows XP.

Make sure that your system has about 500MB of free disk space!

Download the latest PE Builder version (self-installing package) and install it.

Start PE Builder (pebuilder.exe). When you start PE Builder for the first time it will ask if you agree with the license agreement.

Now PE Builder will ask to search for windows installation files. If you don't have your windows XP setup/installation files on your system you must insert the original Microsoft Windows XP installation/setup CD at this point.
The files you have at c:\windows are not installation files. They are your already installed files!
Click "yes" to start searching. PE Builder will now search all fixed- and CD-Rom drives for Windows installation files. This will take some time. When more than one valid location is found, a dialog will appear where you can select which location you want to use.

At the main PE Builder dialog, select the "Burn to CD/DVD" option. When you are using an erasable medium, make sure that the "AutoErase RW" option is enabled. The "burn using" option should be set to "StarBurn". Select your CD writer device from the Device list.

Hit the "build" button. PE Builder will now ask you to create a BartPE directory, answer with "yes".

The license for your Microsoft Windows XP product is shown. Read it and agree to it to continue.

PE Builder will now start building BartPE. This will take a few minutes.
You will see a lot of files getting copied and/or decompressed, the ISO image build and the data recorded to your CD/DVD writer.
If the data verify was correct and there where no errors reported you can boot the CD/DVD!

http://www.nu2.nu/do...uilder3110a.exe

Which burning programmes have you got?

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
See last note...I use the default built in Windows burning option. I had my system especially built for me... I am a Genealogist and Software-Testing hobbist. I have about 130Gb, 512RAM, etc.... lots of juice. I use MS-WORD for my processor.

I have presently, KNOPPIX on both open and closed formats on disks already.
I have ERD on disks.
I have two copies of Barts...one at 10383Kb, and one at 3229 from the link you provided...which is better, or does it matter...?

As I recall, I have another boot program somewhere...it's late here and I am off to bed. Talk to you tomorrow.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The link goes here then you just choose any one of the mirrors

Nu2 Download page
File: pebuilder3110a.exe
Size: 3.15MB
MD5 hash: f9013d809cde9c8137f604d3806bf898

Attention! Do not link to any mirror directly. Link using this page!

Select a download mirror from the list below.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
You appear to be a nighthawk, like me. I am often up all night and sleep during the day for a couple of hours. I am on the internet most of the day and night.

Just had the two files. Made disk from the 3.15Mb one.

I assume one just pops the disk back into the computer as needed?

My error, it was not Bart's that I was interested in. I have Hiren's.BootCD.7.2.iso

The instructions were to burn the *.iso to a disk...but it does not say to leave it as an ISO, or open it and burn its contents to a disk.

That is the only issue that I have with ISO files...what to do with them once I have them.

Burn the downloaded file directly to disk or open it and burn the contents. I have yet to find a definitive answer to this question. I have tried both methods and my computer acts like nothing is there! Makes me feel kind of stupid, at least more than I already am...disconcerting!

If I have to look beyond the process, to the computer, i.e. as to why it is not reading the disk, can you point me in a direction?

Edited by b1caez01, 03 November 2006 - 11:16 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You need to burn the ISO file as an ISO image, hence the question about which burning programmes you have

These will burn ISO files

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/help/burniso

http://www.deepburne...help/index.html

For Bart's PE follow the wizard when you want to make the CD

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
"I have Hiren's.BootCD.7.2.iso"

I have an ISO file already, why make another one? I must be dense [I heard that :rofl: ] ...but I am still no further ahead :whistling: It is still not clear... do I take the downloaded version of Hiren that I have, and burn IT straight to a cd or not...? If not, why not?

:blink: Why do I need further burning software, when I already have a burner that works? What is this other burning software going to do for me, that my default burner software cannot do.

:help: I need to know the mechanics behind what you are telling me to do...the reasoning...the why's and wherefores...

:) Does this other software do something magical to the Hiren's.BootCD.7.2.iso that I already have in hand, to make it useable? What is the justification for using the software you suggest.

I am in need of understanding the process before I can deal with the burning issue :rofl:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use any you want to, though an ISO image must be burned as an ISO image, not just burned to CD

Check the top link, post 8

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I am grateful for the time that you have taken to ty to help, but I am no further ahead. If you could please read my last note, and respond specifically, if you can, I might be able to comprehend. What you last wrote really tells me nothing, from my view point.

"You need to burn the ISO file as an ISO image, hence the question about which burning programmes you have. These will burn ISO files:
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/help/burniso
[url="http://www.deepburner.com/help/index.html""]http://www.deepburner.com/help/index.html"[/url]

I went to the first page ...gobble-dy-gook from my viewpoint!
I went to the second page... even less instructive...

The first site states...

"Creating an ISO file is quite simple. At first, you have to compile your files the same way as you do it when creating a Data-CD/DVD"

My contention is that I already have an ISO file that is a monster, and contains all the necessary files needed. So, why do I need another burner file to create another version of the same thing.

I am sorry, but I am getting really frustrated about trying to get my point across...

Then it tells me to:

"Now choose the ISO file you want to burn by clicking the "..."-button and then click "Burn disc" to start burning process."

Now, I have already got an ISO file, and I have already burned that downloaded file to disk...so what's the difference? Is somebody trying to tell me that the ISO file I downloaded is not an ISO file, and that the ISO file I downloaded needs to be burned to disk, as an ISO file... can you see how confusing this is...it does not make sense...either it is an ISO file or it isn't. Is the ISO file I downloaded an image file...that is the next question...and does it take a special burning program to take an ISO downloaded file, and produce a burned ISO image file... that becomes the key question... If so, then everything starts to make more sense...but nobody is actually saying this...if it is so!

Be patient please...

TTYL...tomorrow...

Edited by b1caez01, 04 November 2006 - 02:10 AM.