Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange HD problem

• Please log in to reply

Xanthar

Xanthar

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Heya... Ever since I got my system I've been having problems with it crashing (BSOD) while playing games mostly. This usually happens while it's accessing the HD. Lately it's been getting worse and it's uaually a 7A stop code. The drives also get fragmented very fast... I have diskkeeper defragging automatically to keep it under control. I have disabled SLI and also replaced the memory to rule those out.

I'm using nforce for the raid setup with the latest drivers. Today I disabled the read and write cache on the HD's
and it seems to have fixed the problem, although the HD's are slooooow.

Any Ideas what could be causing this? Bad HD caches? Bad HD controller? Powersupply? Is there any way to tell which hd is bad in a RAID array?

Thanks!

MB: Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe
CPU: Intel Pentium D 955 Extreme Edition 3.46GHz (1066MHz Front Side Bus) (Dual Core)
Memory: Corsair matched pair 2GB DDR2 (800MHz)
Graphics: 2 - nVIDIA GeForce 7900GTX 512MB (SLI)
HD: 2 - Western Digital 250GB SATA II (RAID 0 array)
Sound: Creative Audigy 4
OS Windows Xp SP2

Edited by Xanthar, 02 November 2006 - 09:31 PM.

Advertisements

Joshy J

Joshy J

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Have you tried un-RAIDing them, like, just two separate drives? I dont know alot about RAID but ive had simmilar problems in the past. Run a burn in test (google it) to test if there is any physical problem.
Hope that helped

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try turning off auto defrag set it to be run manually...does problem go away...you can also un raid the drives and put your swap file on the second drive and get a speed bump that way

Xanthar

Xanthar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Is there a way to un-raid without losing the data since it's striped on both drives?

Think I may go for a new HD and just copy the raid to it. It just rebooted my system while using firefox so turning the cache off didn't solve the problem, although it happens much less now. :whistling: Turned off Auto Defrag, going to remove the pagefile and start a new one to see if that helps...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can burn your data to cd or dvd for the backup

Xanthar

Xanthar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well after replacing the Power supply and the HD, it turns out the problem was the motherboard. What a pain in the [bleep] it was to find this problem. Expensive too... Sad part is that it was still covered in my my warrantywith DigitalStorm. I just didnt want to deal with the idiots in the tech dept. and wait 2+ weeks for results. Guess that's the price I pay for being too lazy to build my own system like I usually do. :whistling: Never Again.