Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba M45 Locks Up

• Please log in to reply

Mark W

Mark W

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite M45-S331 which has developed a problem with
locking up. Sometimes when i shut it down it gets stucking on the
shutting down Windows screen but many times what happens is when I
shut it down (and it does shut down) or close the lid where it goes
into hibernate as soon as I open up the computer and try to turn it on
it won't turn on. I have even unplugged it as well as removed the
battery for a minute and it still wont' start. Often it takes
removing the battery and pulling the power cord for over 15 mins or
so. Then it works fine.
I thought it was a virus or something wrong with Windows so I did a
complete wipe of the hard drive and reinstall and it is Windows XP
Home Edition but it still has this problem.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What is your specific OS (Home, Pro, SP1, SP2)? Is the OS up-to-date with all updates?

Can you pinpoint exactly when this problem appeared? Had you installed anything (software or hardware) in particular just prior?

Have you run diagnostics to test for overheating, harddrive errors, or possibly battery issues?

Do you do routine maintenance, such as registry cleaning/optimization, removal of unnecessary/temp files, spyware removal, antivirus scanning (and is your AV up-to-date)?

Just trying to throw out some possiblities....

Mark W

Mark W

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I am using Home with SP2 and it's up to date. I have completely reinstalled the OS after clearing the hard drive and there is no other software installed and I'm still having the same problem. Are there any specific diagnostic programs I should run? I don't have any AV or spyware software on yet since I did the reinstall.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Did you get a Diagnostics CD with the laptop (like you do with Dell)? Of course, you can do Windows Check Disk - open My Computer, right click over C:\, choose Properties, Tools.

According to Toshiba's site, the laptop should have had something called EasyGuard pre-installed?? It's a diagnostic software. Did you reinstall from Toshiba restore CDs or MS Windows CDs?