Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wont update?

• Please log in to reply

saraveza408

saraveza408

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
I use Microsoft XP Professional 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 build 2600 & I cant get Microsoft update or Windows update to update! I get a message saying i need to change my proxy/firewall settings to allow a few selected sites.After I do this I still cant get my XP to update! Can someone please help me out with this?Thank you!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you try with only the windows firewall running

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
well ya i tried that & then i tried with my firewall turned off.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Have you gone the sfc /scannow route yet? ...to put stuff back in order...

Done a good maintenance check and repair?

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
I have run ad-aware,avg,spybot,ccCleaner(& scanned for errors w/ccCleaner)& Ive ran Advanced Windows Care as well.However I have not tried sfc/scannow nor am I familiar with sfc/scannow.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Fire up your computer...
Go to start > run > type in "cmd" in the open field [no quotes]...
Hit enter...and the DOS window appears...
Type in, at the flashing cursor sfc_/scannow [_ is a space] ...
Put your original set up disk in the install drive...
Hit enter...

This will take a while, so go get a coffee...and doughnut :blink:

You will find sfc in the system32 folder...the typed command goes there, finds it, and activates the process...

Its purpose is to return all the originally installed files to their rightful place and order, just in case something has gone awry since last done.

I run this prog weekly, whether I need to or not.

Also run the defrag and chkdsk. Chkdsk will run off a boot up...and will take considerable time to do...maybe hours, depending upon the state of your hard drive.

So, save this one until you are set to end for the day. Shut down the computer and then reboot...let it do its thing from there...and go to bed. By morning all will have been done.

Rerun the progs you said you ran before to just be sure, all bases have been covered.

Pray :whistling:

Edited by b1caez01, 04 November 2006 - 06:54 PM.

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
unfortunately i dont have my set up disk.((stupid me always losing things))

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
did you get an error code when you tried updates

heres something you should do

clean your prefetch folder GO START...CLICK RUN...TYPE IN... prefetch ...CLICK OK..EDIT..SELECT ALL ..ON ANY BLUE FILE RIGHT CLICK THEN DELETE.............go to your tools menu at the top of your page select internet options delete cookies... delete files including offline put check mark click ok then close by clicking apply then ok.....go start..... all programs....accesseries...system tools....disk defragmenter.....just defragment ......

when your done that do this

go start right on my computer and open it .....on c drive right click and click on properties select tools then click on check now make sure both boxes are checked then click start

if a black pop appears dont be alarmed you should see a flashing white bar ..type the letter y for yes hit enter reboot

let this proccess go through 5 stages

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Are you running any firewall software aside from Windows default?

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
:whistling: Attached File  jimmy_from_microsoft_download_repair.zip   327bytes   148 downloadstry this

Attached Files

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Are you running any firewall software aside from Windows default?

no