Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezes on Startup

• Please log in to reply

flook1e

flook1e

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi People! I got a huge problem with this old guy, and was wondering if you could help!

Ok, firstly, 2 weeks ago this problem wasn't here so it must have come since then.

- I have just upgraded to tiscali Broadband.
- I found that there was no viruses, but some program was trying to access the internet through Panda Antivirus. I got 'GIANT Antispyware' and found 2 Critical threats that could use the phone line to ring out. So I had them all deleted.
- I installed lots of Critical Updates.
- My normal weekly Defrag/Scandisc performed in Safemode

Since these 4 things, I have had many problems rebooting. So I thought that it could be the GIANT Antispyware, so I uninstalled it. It still takes about 6 times to get all of the programs to load and sometimes it says: 015F:000073B4 (Critical error).

When the PC is running, it is absolutely fine, its just when startup occurs, or even shutting down (It doesn't usually shut down properly).

Please help me!!!
Thanks for your time. :tazz:

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If you did a lot of updates you may have a problem with them :

If you are having problems due to these update you can remove them with control panel add/remove programs and remove the items that say "Windows Q840315, Q888113, Q890175, Q891781

Try this and see if it solves the problem. If not, reinstall updates after problem is fixed.

I would uninstall any left over dial-up stuff. Also, please read the inormation for Malware Removal and run all the apps and follow the instructions as you may catch other malware still resident in your pc :

Read and Do This First

If you need to post a Hijack This log, please post in the correct forum.

Ron

flook1e

flook1e

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Exactly what dial up stuff would I need to remove? I removed the 'Freeserve Anytime Connection Kit,' but I still have a 'Freeserve' file in C: drive and I daren't remove it. I can't see any other 'Freeserve' programs to add/remove.

I already removed Malware before.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

- I installed lots of Critical Updates.

I already removed Malware before.

...but some program was trying to access the internet through Panda Antivirus. ...found 2 Critical threats that could use the phone line to ring out

View Post

Did you

1) Check to see if you had the updates installed that I mentioned and removed them to see if problem is solved?
2) Did you use each app and following steps given in "Read and Do This First" because not all programs are equal? One or two programs do not remove the malware that is currently infecting PCs.
3) What are you using for your broadband connection? You seemed to be worried about a program accessing your phoneline???

I may not be asking the right questions, but the only problem I ever had with Win 98 is it crashing, but then I like to push my PC to max to see what happens. I probably hold the record for reinstalling Win 98 or 98SE! I have had my PC take a long time to reboot, but a virus or some other malware was causing it. Once I shut down all the processes I had running at bootup, it still did a slow boot. Housecall at TrendMicro found the virus but couldn't remove it. Took me awhile, but I got it. I went through all the usual programs I had installed and only used Housecall at the last. I have 2 antivirus programs running right now and, if one doesn't catch something, the other will. Yet I still use all the online scans I can find.

Ron