Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote Desktop WinXP/2000 Server

• Please log in to reply

Paul Griffiths

Paul Griffiths

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi, We have a small network consisting of SBS2000 and 3 Win XP (SP2) client machines. I'd like to work from home but need to run applications etc that are only found on my office machine. I can create a remote desktop connection to the server and have installed all the programs on the server but when I log on using my normal user id and password the screen displays the SBS Administrator Console rather than my desktop. I do have roaming profiles set up on the server. When closing the SBS Administrator Console it then disconnects my session. At no point does it display my desktop, icons etc.

Can anybody help?

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
1. Create the VPN connection to the server using your external IP address.
2. Use Remote Desktop to take control of your office computer (you'll use the full computer name as the address). This necessarily requires that your office computer be powered on and that you've enabled Remote Desktop on it.

Hope this gets you started in the right direction. If you need additional info, post back.

Paul Griffiths

Paul Griffiths

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks Linda but I would like to be able to do this without leaving the office PC on although I have tried it but it does not seems to work. Since my first post I have tried with another user (me) and this seems to work fine. I can connect from home and work as normal (without my own client machine being switched on in the office). However when I try to log on as the first user (the subject of my first posting) it seems to just display the SBS console......

So, I know it can be done but am mystified as to why it works for one and not the other. I'm thinking that it must be a setting or two somewhere but have no idea where..... Any suggestions?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Have you tried to recreate the roaming profile for that user?

Paul Griffiths

Paul Griffiths

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
No, but I am not sure how to do that.

Since I have had this problem I have "tested" the profile by logging them onto another machine and everything seems okay - is this a good test that the profile is okay?

If you think I should recreate then I'm happy to try - guidance would be appreciated.....

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
My understanding of roaming profiles is that you must set it up on each computer the user might sign on to. So the profile could be fine on PC1, but not PC2.

Look at MS Articles 314478 for WXP, and 142682 for W2k.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

My understanding of roaming profiles is that you must set it up on each computer the user might sign on to. So the profile could be fine on PC1, but not PC2.

i disagree with this...the purpose for a roaming profile is so that you DON"T need to configure any profiles on the pc they are logging into..

i'm personally wondering WHY you're trying to do what you want with roaming profiles to begin with....if the software you're wanting to use is INSTALLED on the server that you're logging into...you shouldn't need any profiles applied...as long as y ou're authenticated to the network..

Paul Griffiths

Paul Griffiths

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Maybe the roaming profile is a bit of a red herring.

All software required is installed on the Server. When I login via remote desktop it displays my desktop which I why I mentioned roaming profiles. However when I try to log the other user in it does not - it simply displays the SBS management console.

In essence, all I want to do is to be able to log a user on via remote desktop - connect them to the Server and have them access their "virtual" desktop so they can work from home.

Any ideas?

Paul Griffiths

Paul Griffiths

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi,

I'm still struggling with this and wonder if anybody can shed any light. I've done more digging on the web but can only find reference to 2003 Server and a Terminal Services setting which will automatically run an assigned program on start up - Having checked all settings in SBS2000 I dont seem to have these settings but this seems to be the right area. Appears to be nothing in Group Policies that is doing this.....

Help...?