Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Datalayer.exe

• Please log in to reply

andrewsexton

andrewsexton

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi,

When I boot up in to XP Home I keep on getting a Datalayer.exe error. I have uninstalled Nokia PC Suite. Any ideas?

Thanks

Andrew

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi Andrew

If it isn't being called from the Startup folder at Start>All Programs>Startup, probably the file is still being called from the Registry.

Open the Registry Editor (Start>Run. type REGEDIT, click OK.).
Go to 'Edit>Find'. Type DATALAYER.EXE and click 'Find Next'
Delete all entries it finds (press F3 to continue search after each one is found, until you see "Finished searching Registry".

Reboot.

If you'd rather not mess with the Registry manually, you can download and install a free utility called 'RegSupreme' which will root out all the redundant entries and any 'Run' entries for files which no longer exist (your particular problem, I think). It's free to try and only costs $13 to keep. I use it and it's never broken Windows.
It won't find absolutely everything in one go, but it's a safer bet to start with. Get RegSupreme here: http://www.macecraft.com/regsupreme/

Edited by pip22, 03 November 2006 - 02:07 PM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I have used Registry First Aid for years...the best at routing out just this sort of entry... I especially like it because I can set it to search for what I want to find...and off it goes...then it gives me options as to what I want to do with what it finds...and so on... The best of its ilk out there...and saves hours of searching endlessly through the registry for specific entries.