Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Drives won't recognize blank media

• Please log in to reply

unpluggedsb

unpluggedsb

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
For some reason my dvd drives only recognize blank CD-R's or DVD-r's every once in a while. I've tried a couple of different brands (including the Sony CD-R's that used to work all the time). They will always recognize a CD-RW that I've erased and CD-R's and DVD-R's that have already been recorded.

In Windows Media Player 10 it either says the disk is in use or that there is no disc. In My Computer, when I check Properties it shows 0 used space and 0 free space.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

unpluggedsb

unpluggedsb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
It's even more curious. When I tried it again this morning, after the computer had been in standby mode all night, Windows Media Player recognized the disk - still in the DVD RAM drive and allowed me to burn to it. I popped in another one and tried it again, but just said no cd in drive. I did exactly the same thing this afternoon after it had been in standby mode all morning. Burned on cd but wouldnt recognize the second one. Any reason why this would happen?

Oh yeah, rebooting doesnt help.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Zip into the hardware forum...those guys are great...