Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer not keeping time

• Please log in to reply

shanpan

shanpan

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi,

I have a Toshiba M100 laptop with XP Home (SP2).

I use outlook to keep track of all of my appointments and business information.

On November 1st I noticed that the time was wrong when I turned the computer on. This has never happened before.

I went into the control panel and corrected both the time and the date.

A while later I noticed that the time was incorrect again.

This keeps happening!

An hour and a half ago I reset the time, it now says the time is over an hour ago even though it was accurate for a while.

Is there some kind of Halloween virus out there that I could have picked up. The timing seems a bit too conincidental.

Any help to resolve this problem is greatly appreciated. I rely on the alarms to keep my students coming and going at the correct time.

Thanks in advance.

Shannon

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
How old is the PC

If you right click the clock and use adjust date and time, does it adjust or give an error

shanpan

shanpan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
The laptop is only 5 months old.

When I adjust the time/date manually it allows the change and keeps time for a while, but then changes again.

I've also tried the internet synchronize and the same thing happens. It resets itself after a bit.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Are you in the US? Perhaps your laptop is synching with a server that isn't on the same time as you when you go online? (For example, my VCR thinks it's in Indiana) Try pinging the World Time Server.
http://www.worldtime...m/atomic-clock/
Let us know if that helps.
Johanna

shanpan

shanpan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I had already tried this using the time setting internet sync in the control panel.

I am in Canada, and the sync is set to reflect that.

Once I set the time it stays on track for a while and then suddenly it will go back a few days on the calendar and to a completely different time.

That is why I wondered if I had picked up some kind of weird virus.

I have run a complete Norton scan and nothing shows up as a problem.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
On a desktop machine I would tell you to replace the CMOS battery, but with a laptop you could void any warranties by opening it up. Is the laptop still under warranty? I don't think you have a virus or a Windows problem, sounds like hardware. Let's see if someone else has an idea, and if not, I'll move this thread to hardware for the experts there.
Johanna

shanpan

shanpan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thank you.
I do have an extended warranty on this machine.
I'll wait to hear any more suggestions.

tenzi

tenzi

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
hi ,
I have this same problem with me .. i been changing to the correct time all the time for some time now .. my hp desktop is only 10 months old . u think its the cmos battery problem thats casuing the problem. I have checked and ticked on automatically synchronize with an internet server time.windows.com. i b happy enough if u could shed some light on this issue
thnks

On a desktop machine I would tell you to replace the CMOS battery, but with a laptop you could void any warranties by opening it up. Is the laptop still under warranty? I don't think you have a virus or a Windows problem, sounds like hardware. Let's see if someone else has an idea, and if not, I'll move this thread to hardware for the experts there.
Johanna