Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Proffesional, Hal.dll missing

• Please log in to reply

derek.b

derek.b

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Well I hope you don't mind me asking for help on my first post but here goes!

I have recently been given a laptop, Compaq pretty basic but should suffice.

I have had difficulty in getting the computer to start up, basically to begin with it would not start up without the mains plugged in even thought the power management showed 90% battery life etc.

The problem has manifested itself to a point where it won't start up at all now not even in safe mode, it says that this following file is missing

system32/hal.dll

is either missing or corrupt.

I have tried to reinstall and boot from CD, CD is one for my E-Machines desktop but it won't load and have been told that is due to it being specific to the desktop.

Can't restore even though it gives me the option, basically can't do anything other than enter BIOS.

Really quite frustrated now and a couple of friends have used the forum and suggested to ask you guys for some much needed assistance.

Don't have too muchinfo on the laptop other than it is a Compaq EVO N600C and it won't start!!

Any help would be really appreciated as I need to get this laptop up and running for work purposes!!

Thanks in advance for any help and advise.

Cheers

Derek

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is this how you did it?

1. Configure the computer to start from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.

2. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.

3. When you receive the Press any key to boot from CD message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.

4. When you receive the Welcome to Setup message, press R to start the Recovery Console.

5. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you have to use from the Recovery Console.

6. When you are prompted, type the administrator password, and then press ENTER.

7. At the command prompt, type bootcfg /list, and then press ENTER. The entries in your current Boot.ini file appear on the screen.

8. At the command prompt, type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER. This command scans the hard disks of the computer for Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 2000, or Microsoft Windows NT installations, and then displays the results.

Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to add the Windows installations to the Boot.ini file. For example, follow these steps to add a Windows XP installation to the Boot.ini file:

a. When you receive a message that is similar to the following message, press Y: Total Identified Windows Installs: 1

[1] C:\Windows

Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)

b. You receive a message that is similar to the following message: Enter Load Identifier

This is the name of the operating system. When you receive this message, type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER.

This is either Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.

c. You receive a message that is similar to the following: Enter OS Load options

When you receive this message, type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.

Note The instructions that appear on your screen may be different, depending on the configuration of your computer.

9. Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console.

Your computer restarts, and the updated boot list appears when you receive the "Please select the operating system to start" message.

derek.b

derek.b

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well thats how I would have liked to have done it, only I get stuck on section three in your post.

I believe its because the E-Machines disc is looking for the E-machines BIOS and stalls there so won't let me go any further.

I have since been told that I have no real option other than to get a real XP cd and go from there, reasonably frustrating considering I did not get one with the laptop!!

Any other insights or glints of info gratefully received as I don't want to fund Microsoft yet again for a corrupt file in their operating system!!

Cheers

Derek

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can borrow a same version XP CD

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Ok, try this.

First, boot up into the recovery console using the technique described by Keith. Once your at the console, follow these steps:

attrib -h -s -r C:\boot.ini

This will make the boot.ini file un-hidden/secret/read-only, if that makes sense haha.

del boot.ini

This will as you may have guessed by deduction, delete the boot.ini file.

bootcfg /rebuild

This will reboot the boot.ini

fixboot

Done.

If that doesnt work, you can also try this from the recovery console as well

expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll

This will overwrite your hal.dll file from your cd. Make sure the D: is pointing to your CD-ROM.

Edited by Cilix, 04 November 2006 - 12:39 PM.